Purpose / Project Description
Market systems approaches and refugees’social connections have a critical role to play in the West Nile refugeeresponse. Mercy Corps Uganda seeks to learn about the role of socialconnections and the effectiveness of its market systems development in WestNile to inform our future programming, influence the response, and contributeto global learning.
General Position Summary
The Research Coordinator is a strategic role within Mercy Corps,managing research and learning in West Nile, Uganda to inform futureprogramming and contribute to a range of global research products on MarketSystems Development (MSD) and the role of social connections in coping andrecovery. Specifically, this role will oversee the implementation of anexciting new 2-year OFDA research award in partnership with the FeinsteinInternational Center (FIC) at Tufts University (USA), with the goal of (1)building an understanding on the ways in which social connectedness links toresilience and improved livelihoods for individuals affected by crisis,including South Sudanese refugees; and (2) to examine the ways in which MercyCorps’ MSD interventions influence social connections and vice versa.
In addition to assisting in the management of this project, the ResearchCoordinator may be expected to provide support, as needed, to Mercy Corps’field-based Monitoring and Evaluation teams in the design, implementation, andanalysis phases of various additional data collection initiatives.
The Senior Research Officerwill report to the West Nile Team Leader with dotted line reporting to the OFDAResearch Manager, based in Juba, South Sudan
● Coordinateclosely with the OFDA Research Manager, researchers from Tufts and researchconsultants to ensure that all research projects answer questions that arevaluable to the Uganda program team and contribute to broader learning.
● Togetherwith the Research Manager, Tufts researchers and consultants, lead training ofenumerators / data collectors and in-country team on sampling procedures,administering data collection instruments, and data quality control.
● Incollaboration with the key research personnel lead the training of enumeratorson qualitative data collection tools, including interviewing technique, participatoryrural approaches and other non-conventional qualitative tools such as journeymapping.
● Implementfield-based qualitative and quantitative research tools, including interviews,focus group discussions, and surveys.
● Manageand provide oversight / quality assurance of data collection process, includingmanaging enumerators and troubleshooting as needed.
● Leadthe qualitative data collection, including training and supervision offacilitators.
● As needed, manage the transcription and supportthe preliminary analysis of the qualitative data.
● Conduct data quality checks and support datacleaning and analysis as needed.
● Maintain organized files for data and researchso that they are accessible to researchers and program team, including databasemanagement.
● Assist in the development of relevant researchreports by sharing contextual knowledge and feedback.
Team Coordination and Learning
● Gather input and feedback from, and coordinateclosely with West Nile programs teams on research questions, research design,and data collection processes to ensure that data and analysis is of highquality and aligns with research goals.
● Support interpretation of results based onprogram teams’ and enumerators’ contextual knowledge.
● Provide regular updates to West Nile programteam about research findings. This includes providing informal insights at teammeetings and leading presentations and feedback sessions at key points in theanalysis.
As part of our commitment toorganizational learning and in support of our understanding that learningorganizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communitiesthey serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learningactivities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members areexpected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to ourbeneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief anddevelopment work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equalpartners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To: Mercy CorpsTeam Leader for West Nile with dotted line reporting to OFDA Research Manager,based in Juba, South Sudan
Works Directly with: In-countryprograms, operations and finance teams; OFDA Research Manager; Senior Directorfor Research and Learning, Markets Economic Recovery and Growth TechnicalSupport unit; Cash and Markets Consultant; Principal Investigators (FIC); andFIC team members (Research Assistant, Project Manager and others assigned tothe research)
- Bachelor’sdegree in development, social sciences, or other related field; MA or PhDpreferred
- Outstandingknowledge of the political, cultural, and humanitarian dynamics in West Nile,preferably with experience having lived and/or worked in the region.
- Atleast 3 years of experience conducting and managing field research in ruralareas of Uganda, preferably in West Nile.
- Experienceconducting research within the context of humanitarian programming, preferablyin a research or M&E role with an NGO.
- Demonstratedskills in qualitative research methods, particularly interviews.
- Experiencemanaging a team of local enumerators, and providing capacity-building support
- Experienceconducting research for Market Systems Development (MSD) a plus
- Experienceconducting research related to refugees a plus
- Excellentcommunication and collaboration skills
- Goodorganizational skills and ability to work under time constraints
- Self-motivated andable to work without close supervision