Job verified by Fuzu
World Vision | Uganda | Log in or register to see the closing date
Response Operations Director
Click to apply
- Bachelor's degree
- Business, strategic management
- Executive (director)
- Full Time
Response Operations Director leads the Operations team and oversees the implementation of the response activities. He/she transforms the response strategy into implemented reality, managing day-to-day sector activities and providing technical guidance to the Programmes team for design and programme quality.
Ensure program planning is informed by technical standards and operational viability:
Establish, lead, resource and staff Operations unit to meet response needs:
- Contribute to planning of sector requirements for people, funding and supplies.
- Ensure all program designs are based on needs assessment findings (primary & secondary data) and analysis,
- targets the most vulnerable/chronically and is operationally viable.
- Ensure all programs refer to technical standards, consider government standards and are aligned with Strategic
- Guidance and Do-Assure Dont Do (DADDs) for the First Phase of Emergency Responses and Sector Packages.
- Ensure inclusion of advocacy issues and cross cutting themes are considered in design.
- Ensure programs and projects are measured according to technical standards and Child Well-being targets.
- Ensure Operations Plans are developed and implemented with community engagement, taking into account local capacities and utilising Do No Harm/Local Capacities for Peace (DNH/LCP).
Conduct response operational planning to ensure effective coordination and timely delivery of response activities:
- Lead team/individual development and provide direction and support as needed to enable effective performance.
- Contribute to National Office (NO) capacity building in the area of emergency response in coordination with NO
- leadership and Human Resources (HR).
- Determine Operations organisational structure and staffing plan with HR.
- Monitor recruitment and deployment of Operations staff and plan for capacity development.
- Ensure Operations staff handovers are conducted.
- Develop Operations budget in coordination with Finance, ensuring strong alignment and coordination with
- Programming team during budgeting and budget management process.
- Plan for Operations transition/integration.
Oversee implementation and monitoring of operations to ensure achievement of response goals and objectives and inform operational improvement:
- Plan and facilitate detailed operational plan and delegate responsibilities to carry out plan.
- Ensure Accountability mechanisms are in place for Community and stakeholder feedback.
- Planning process considers community requirements (i.e. timelines) and progress is monitored by Design, Monitoring & Evaluation (DME).
- Facilitate planning between sectors to meet overall program goals.
- Facilitate requirements planning with Support Services.
- Ensure collaborative planning with external stakeholders such as UN Agencies, other NGOs and Government ministries where possible through coordination mechanisms.
Oversee development and implementation of operations reporting systems to support timely and accurate reporting:
- Monitor results against sector plans and address identified issues.
- Monitor expenditure reports and take corrective action with Finance and Programs.
- Review Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) and Accountability data with Sectors and Programs to identify and address any issues for operational improvement.
- Review context analysis with Programs and Liaison for Operational Intent adaptation.
- Review findings of learning events and evaluations with Programs to make operational improvements.
- All evaluations of sector interventions are planned with DME to assess effectiveness and timeliness.
Ensure implementation of response operations according to safety standards with support from the Security function:
- Establish and implement internal reporting system in coordination with DME.
- Ensure Operations provide input for grant/donor and program milestone and reports to Programs.
- Write report on quality risks and their resolution and submit to Response Director on regular basis.
- Ensure that Operations meets reporting requirements for Clusters, Ministries and/or in-country stakeholders.
Ensure operations meet WV minimum quality standards and support improvement, reflection, learning and innovation in sectors:
- Organise security assessments for all field operations that inform a security plan.
- Implement the recommendations of the security plan for all field operations.
- Ensure security incident reporting protocols are complied with by operations staff.
- Ensure Operations staff adhere to security standards for staff movement and communications.
- Work with Security to ensure safe and effective Civil/Military relationships with armed actors.
Coordinate with Support Services function for ongoing provision of funds, staff, equipment, vehicles and supplies to ensure timely implementation of operations:
- Ensure previous sectors learning from Global Learning Facilitator are reviewed.
- Encourage the incorporation of sector best practice and innovation.
- Ensure sector have a quality plan to meet quality criteria and minimum sector standards.
- Ensure achievement of all function quality criteria is monitored and reported regularly.
- Ensure risks limiting achievement of objective to quality criteria are reported & rapidly addressed.
- Ensure mechanisms are established to identify, document, and share function lessons learned.
Identify, report and refer operational blockages caused by external actors to Liaison to be addressed through external advocacy:
- Ensure Ops submit clear and timely budgets and funds requests to Finance.
- Ensure Ops submit clear and timely staff plans to HR and immediately advises on changes.
- Ensure Ops follow Finance procedures to rapidly process payments to suppliers.
- Ensure Ops submit vehicle requirements to logistics and follow vehicles management guidelines.
- Ensure Ops submit communications requirements to ICT and follow ICT procedures.
- Address delays in Support Services to Response Manager for rapid resolution and waivers.
- Establish operation team protocols where sector and geographic leads identify and report where external actors are
- delaying/preventing implementation.
- Refer issues delaying implementation to Liaison to resolve through inter-agency coordination and/or government
- Ensure protection issues are reported and addressed in coordination with Advocacy.
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: PermanentJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: UgandaArea of work
: Business, strategic managementSeniority
: Executive (director)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 5 yearsRequired skills
: Project monitoring and evaluation (M&E); Operative management; Quality management; Project preparation and planning; Project implementationRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply