Job verified by Fuzu
Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (Uganda) | Entebbe, Uganda | Log in or register to see the closing date
Click to apply
- Bachelor's degree
- Agriculture, fishing, forestry, wildlife
- Expert (non-managerial)
- Full Time
The Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries received funding from the Islamic Development Bank (IDB) to support government of Uganda’s efforts to attain rice self-sufficiency through “Enhancing National Food Security through Increased Rice Production (ENRP) Project.” The project will contribute to the increase in production, marketing and consumption of rice for improved Nutrition, Food Security and Incomes in Uganda as well as support, build and strengthen the institutional and technical capacities, for sustained agricultural growth that contributes to the poverty alleviation and food security.
The Rice Agronomist will be coordinating the planning and implementation of all project rice agronomic activities and ensure close liaison with the project management and steering committee.Qualifications
- The Rice Agronomist must hold an honours Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture or Crop Science, or Agricultural Economics from a recognised university or institution.
Must have post-graduate qualifications in any of the above fields from a recognised university or institution.
A minimum of five years’ experience of working in the field of Agricultural Production from government or reputable organisation.
Familiarisation with the small-scale rice-based farming systems in Uganda will be an added advantage.
Good knowledge of rice agronomy approaches and techniques with farmers is an added advantage.
Applicants should fill Public Service Commission (PSC) Form 3 (2008) here:http://psc.go.ug/downloads, in triplicate and attach certified copies of academic certificates and testimonials, appointment letters as evidence of working experience and two referees, one of whom must be a current or previous employer and most recent passport photographs. Applications should be addressed to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries, P.O. Box 102, Entebbe, and delivered to the Open Registry.
- Responsible for ensuring a productive rice crop under irrigation in the project area through a comprehensive framework from acquisition of seed through soil preparation to post harvesting and storage.
- Prepare all rice agronomy related documents to facilitate the planning, development, procurement of services, and implementation of the Project;
- Develop guidelines on basic techniques of irrigated agriculture (rice irrigation agronomy)
- Promote water management and soil conservation techniques
- Ensure sustainability of irrigation infrastructure through functional Water User Associations (WUAs)
- Develop with farmers a comprehensive cropping calendar, irrigation schedule and farm planning system
- Liaise with District Local Government, Private Development Partners, NARO, NAADS on research, extension and technologies in rice
- Promote Basic Practices: An Agronomic Technology Package.
- Put in place systems for sustainable soil and fertilizer use and management
- Carry out quality assurance in accordance with the project quality plan.
- Review and finalize the list of equipment as well as assist Procurement Specialist to purchase of the equipment.
- Conduct on-farm tests and demonstrations of the identified technologies and transfer them to farmers through NARI and NAADS.
- Review rice crop management practices at all irrigated rice schemes in the country to serve as a basis for identification of improved and appropriate rice production and post-production technologies.
- Review the results of activities of the project and provide recommendations for the improvement of the project’s work plan.
- Perform any other duties as may be delegated by the Supervisor.
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: PermanentJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: EntebbeArea of work
: Agriculture, fishing, forestry, wildlifeSeniority
: Expert (non-managerial)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 5 yearsRequired skills
: Crop harvesting; Soil management; Operative planning; Use of agricultural machinery (harvester, plougher, others); Project implementation; Agriculture and natural resourcesRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply