Job verified by Fuzu
Plan International | Kisumu, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Click to apply
- Bachelor's degree
- Manager (team leader)
- Full Time
The scope of the role will entail advising Country Management Team and security management teams/ focal persons on various security matters; contribute in implementing the global security policies and strategies and facilitate the rollout of security standards, Operating procedures, and regular reporting on compliance. Training on local focal teams and management on Plan security guidelines, risk assessments and facilitating external training as necessary. Ensures timely reporting of security incidences in line with the relevant policies and procedures. Disseminates security information from Plan International Headquarters (IH) and or external if not available in country to aid country leadership with decision making and proactive actions. S/he will uphold Plan's Core Values, promote our mission and vision, programme principles (transparency, gender equality and diversity) to enhance programme impact, and be committed to child protection and respect for human rights.
• Provide advice to the management on all the decisions to be made touching on safety and security.
• Effectively maintains strong links and relationships regionally with other security-related networks and organizations and assists in developing effective security networks & responses relevant to the context.
• Act as a key advisor to the Country Director on security matters for leadership support in decision making.
• Maintain an appropriate level of contact with national, regional and IH program team members and other external stakeholders to develop and implement programs to support the fulfilment of Plan’s Security strategy.
• Prepares security reports and provide security analysis.
• National focus for scanning of security environment and adjusting security phases, policies and procedures accordingly.
• Responsible for country-wide security management in line with the acceptance model and Plan International standards.
• Develops country-wide security and evacuation plans and drives compliance with the organization security policies and procedures.
• Capacity development of security focal points and officers across field locations.
• Initiates security alerts as appropriate in line with the ever evolving security context across the country.Policies, Strategy and Standards Implementation and Performance
• Provides an objective overview and analysis of security trends and issues across the country and their implications to Plan; and advice country management accordingly.
• Offers advice as necessary to Country management Team/Security focal points regarding various implementation decisions to ensure Plan’s duty of care at all times.
• Disseminates information, guidelines and policies as approved globally from time to time.
• Contributes towards policy and Global strategy amendments as called upon from time to time.
• Shares and ensures the use of approved and updated templates, tools and guidelines for security management.
• Shares ideas for operationalization and implementing security and safety polices and protocols.
• Reviews country proposed security ratings timely or on case by case based on context changes and advises management on any areas that needs change or review.
• Reviews country generated SOPs and advises on any improvement required and recommends for changes to leadership for approval and implementation.
Reporting, Monitoring and Compliance
• Supports the country office to upgrade and continuously improve their capability and compliance with global security standards or initiatives.
• Receives and consolidates quarterly country security and compliance reports for onward submission to IH.
• Reviews all security and vehicle incident reports and follows up the implementation of recommended management actions.
• Produces a proactive mapping of security hot spots across the country and upcoming events to the Country Management Team.
• Produces a monthly departmental report.
Disaster Team Collaboration and Networking
• Undertakes security and safety assessment to inform disaster mitigation decisions and actions.
• Steps in to cover as field security manager (where local capacity is limited) for any over Orange level 2 category disasters or conflict zone responses.
• Works with the regional security focal community, internal and externally including UN and interagency forum.
• Liaises with external security specialists for information’s sharing relevant to the region and shares with Director of Operations and/or Country Director as necessary after validation of accuracy.
• Assists in gathering information for SITREPS and security related alerts, advisories by country teams.
• Reviews and monitors security budgets and their implementation.
Support in Program Implementation
• Advise on safe movement of staff, e.g. proper vehicle fleet management policies, adequate safety and communications equipment in vehicles, and training of drivers in established procedures and requisite skills.
• Inputs on need basis in programme proposal development to ensure adequate consideration of safety and security needs and inclusion of safety and security costs.
• Develops guidelines and criteria for assessing premises and new office moves and locations.
• Provide safety and security support and advice to area and field managers.
Assessment and analysis
• Guides teams on how to undertake security risk assessments during field missions to programme areas and potential programme areas; report on findings and design necessary improvements.
• Supports the identification and mitigation of potential security risks to staff, assets and operational/program security and validates mitigation measure within security risk assessments.
• Ensure that incident report forms are properly compiled by staff and distributed to Country Office.
• Monitor events, review incidents and coordinate analysis, follow-up actions and recommendations.
• Provide security update, which includes situational analysis, actions taken and actions recommended, to the Country Management Team on a regular and as per request basis.
• Submit written weekly and monthly security reports to the Country Leadership Team through the Director of Operations.
• Provide informed recommendations in the context of security assessments and reviews.
• Assess application of security policies and level of vulnerability of facilities; recommend changes to enhance security.
• Coordinate and manage the proper use of telecommunications systems.
• Develop and implement security training plan for all staff; develop and apply evaluation processes to determine whether training competencies are met at country and at project level.
Dealing with Problems:
• Provides technical inputs into all security appointments within the country, including Country Office security focal points, and provides consistent guidance based on current security policy and procedures to ensure uniformity of practice.
• Although essentially an advisory role when necessary intervenes with authority to ensure policy compliance in consultation with the Regional Security Advisor and Head of Global Security.
• The position requires in depth knowledge of organisational strategies and contributes to its fulfilment by supporting the Country Office to understand their roles and implement Security activities in accordance with organisational goals and requirements.
• Supports and maintains the Global Security Strategy that promotes Plan’s Global Security Policy and reflects country priorities through the provision of technical support to country staff.
• The position requires innovation, flexibility and reliability to provide creative solutions to challenges arising in relation to security mainstreaming activities to promote a positive security culture throughout the region.
• Ability to gain a precise understanding of various local, regional, country and international context to provide a clear dynamic briefings and analysis of given and unfolding security and political situations when they occur.
1. Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
• The Area Managers
• Security focal point
• Regional Security Advisor
• Country security networks – PLSO/INSO
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: PermanentJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: KisumuArea of work
: Manager (team leader)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 5 yearsRequired skills
: Risk management; Reporting; Risk analysis; Capacity planning; Security operations; Crisis management; Project implementation; Work place safetyRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply