The Department of Safety and Security is responsible for providing leadership, operational support and oversight of the security management system to enable the safest and most efficient conduct of the security programmes and activities of the United Nations System.
This position is located in the Training and Development Section of the Department of Safety and Security. The Security Training Officer respectively report to the Chief of the Training and Development Section through the Security Training Officer, P4.
• Reviews and/or provides advice and support to managers and staff, including in agencies, funds and programmes, on security training related matters, i.e. interpretation and application/exceptions of security training standards, policies, regulations, rules and procedures; recommends changes as required.
• Participates and/or leads security training projects to evaluate the impact of training, redesign existing standards, create new learning tools to address gaps and/or strengthen the management and quality assurance processes.
• Keeps abreast of developments in various areas of security training and learning.
• Supervises and monitors the work of the Team Assistants in carrying out all administrative transactions related to security training projects and courses for which the security training officer is responsible.
• Coordinates and administers examinations and tests related to training certification of professional, general service and other categories of security staff.
• Identifies and analyzes training, staff development and career support needs for the Integrated Security Workforce and managers with security responsibilities and designs programmes to meet identified needs cost-effectively and in accordance with the Learning and Development Strategy for the Integrated Security Workforce.
• Provides advice on training, mobility and career development to Integrated Security Workforce personnel, particularly young professionals and staff in the General Service and related categories.
• Designs, plans, monitors and provides induction orientation, core and specialist learning programmes for security personnel.
• Assesses training needs, identifies, designs and delivers training programmes to staff and managers with security responsibilities at all levels throughout the United Nations Security Management System.
• Assists in preparing policy papers, position papers and briefing notes for DSS senior management, the Security Training Working Group, the Inter-Agency Security Management Network and other stakeholders on issues related to security training and examinations and tests, and collects and maintains related data sources.
• Performs other related work as required.