Senior Associate (Corporate and Commercial)
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 1 days left to apply for this job.
Department: Corporate & Commercial
Employment status: 2 years Fixed Term
Hours of work: Full time 40 hrs a week. Mon- Friday 8am-5pm
Report to: Managing Director
Oversees all activities of the junior Lawyers and deals with all complex legal transactions, identifying legal issues and offering the business and its consumers optimum solutions as well as ensuring that the business responds appropriately to any legislative changes.
To provide a complete range of legal services locally, regionally and internationally. Advise clients on public and private M&A, demergers, joint ventures, disposals, Corporate Governance, regulatory compliance, restructurings and complex, cross-border transactions. Oversees all activities of the junior Lawyers and deals with all complex legal transactions
Budgets are monitored on day-to-day and monthly basis by the accountant and the Managing partner
- To provide a high-quality legal service to the firm’s clients.
- To comply with all relevant professional and regulatory obligations.
- To contribute to the growth and development of the department and firm.
- To supervise and mentor other members of staff as required.
NOTE: This is not intended to be an exhaustive or definitive list; you may be required to carry out other duties as required.PERSONAL SPECIFICATION
- To provide significant input in the development and implementation of legal compliance policies and procedures. counsel colleagues and develop appropriate relationships for the legal department with other departments across the firm as well as externally with state authorities and government officials.
- Identify legal issues within the business and provide legal analyses and possible legal solutions.
- Give recommendations for addressing critical legal and policy issues in order to ensure that the firm’s legal and overall objectives are met.
- Offer advice to departmental leaders across the business on applicable laws and the interpretation of legal documents in a manner that avails a practical legal approach while properly managing the risks to the firm.
- Lead junior associates in handling various drafting tasks, inclusive of quarterly/annual report drafting, proxy statement development etc.
- Prepare various complex contracts, develop and document standard terms and conditions for the firm’s consumers.
- Have leadership and managerial authority over the department’s staff and department operations.
- Be accountable for the quality of legal services provided by the department.
- Provide high quality legal services to the firm’s clients, predominantly in relation to Commercial Transactional and Advisory matters.
- Receive requests for legal advice from current and potential clients and decide on the most appropriate responses to make to these requests.
- Establish solutions to solve a client’s problems.
- Offer advice on the law, legal procedures and a wide range of associated issues.
- Conduct own Transactions and assist other advocates and partners in providing advice and representation to the firm’s clients.
- Work in accordance with detailed procedures and quality standards contained in the office handbook and relevant procedures contained in the server and practice management tool.
- Ensure the teams observation and successful implementation of these policies and standards.
- Build strong working relationships with colleagues and external stakeholders.
- Ensure services are provided in a timely fashion and the client is informed regularly on progress and costs.
- Ability to follow up clients on payments
- Achieve own and departments targets for billing and time recording.
- Achieve the departments strategies and targets.
- Take overall responsibility for credit control for the departments matters.
- Develop and maintain good client relationships.
- Attract new business from existing and potential clients, keeping the managing partner in the know
- Carry out duties in a professional manner, comply with relevant professional standards and any requirement set by relevant regulators including the Law Society of Kenya (LSK) – Refer to the compliance policy (accessible from the server).
- Develop and maintain the competencies necessary to provide a proper standard of service to clients and maintain a record of professional development.
- Comply with internal procedures and systems of the firm including file and matter management, file audits, client due diligence and time recording.
- Share information, knowhow and best practice with colleagues.
- Adhere to and promote the firm’s equality and diversity policy.
- Ensure resolution of Human Resource issues in accordance with the firm’s policies and with the assistance of the Human Resource Manager.
- Ensure updated and accurate reports are delivered on a weekly basis to the Managing Partner on legal and administrative departmental operations.
- Refer to the Technical Legal Practice (accessible from the server in the Human Resource Policies under Performance & Appraisal – Statement of Competence).
The following criteria are essential to carry out this role to minimum required standard;SPECIFICATION: KNOWLEDGE/QUALIFICATIONS
SKILLS / ABILITIES
- Qualified advocate
- Admitted to the Bar as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya;
- Valid Practicing Certificate
- Kenya School of Law – Diploma in Law
- Undergraduate Law Degree (LLB) OR) Graduate Law Degree with upper second-class honours.
- Threshold 5 - Refer to the Threshold Standard & Statement of Legal Knowledge (accessible from the server under Human Resource Policies under Performance & Appraisal – Statement of Competence).
- Effective Leadership Skills.
- Strategic and creative thinker
- Able to conduct own workload with minimal supervision, under supervision and while supervising or mentoring others.
- Result oriented as well as detail oriented
- Knowledge and understanding of the LSK Code of Conduct and other relevant regulatory requirements.
- Able to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- IT skills commensurate with the role including ability to work without secretarial assistance utilizing firm’s case management system
- Commercial and financial awareness including ability to take responsibility for financial control of own client matters.
- Able to develop positive relationships with clients and manage client expectations.
- Effective prioritization with ability to meet deadlines and manage time effectively.
- Marketing, networking and business development skills commensurate with the role.
- Discreet and trustworthy.
- Team player
Expertise in key areas of law and procedure including: -
- At least Five (5) years Transactional Experience in a medium to large law firm or in-house department
- Practice Experience in corporate and commercial matters, intellectual property, banking and finance, real estate and employment matters.
- High Quality Research and Drafting of relevant legal documents
- Refer to the statement of Advocate competence (accessible from the server under Human Resource Policies under Performance & Appraisal – Statement of competence)
- Hardworking, honest and vigilant.
- Loyal and reliable
- Dedicated & Responsible
- Energetic and fast paced
- Committed, Determined and Results Oriented
LIMITS ON AUTHORITYInternal Authority
- Able to travel to a variety of locations
- Able to work long hours, attend evening or weekend meetings
- Able to withstand high pressure work environments
- Thirst for knowledge-Able to stay abreast of trends in legal practice
- Not Authorised to incur disbursements and work in progress which has not been paid in advance by the client.
- Not Authorised to discount the Rate Card without the Managing Partner’s approval.
- Not authorised to terminate a team member without the authority of the Managing Partner.
- Not authorised to accept or refuse new instructions from current or external clients without Managing Partner’s approval.
- Not authorised to bind the law firm without authorisation of the Managing Partner.
- Not authorised to sign external communications to clients, suppliers and partners unless authorised by the Managing Partner.
- Not authorised to change and communicate to a client, supplier and partners alternative work strategies without Managing Partner’s approval.
: Post-graduate educationRequired relevant work experience
: 5 yearsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)