Senior Broadcast Journalist (Social Media), BBC Great Lakes
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You will lead the day-to-day running of the BBC Great Lakes social media platforms and will help to grow our audience reach and engagement. You will use social media effectively to spot the news as it breaks, curate and cultivate user generated content, identify viral content, develop and manage onsite communities and off-site social presences, with the aim of maximising reach and awareness. You will ensure that the social offer is engaging, coherent, upholds BBC News’ editorial values and further establishes BBC Great Lakes as a ground breaking interactive site especially amongst our young audiences.
- Build and manage our communities and audiences across our social channels.
- To create content for social platforms and occasionally write for our website in an engaging format with the audience.
- To think up original ways to tell stories, especially for existing and emerging digital platforms.
- To produce and commission short-form and long-form digital content.To create and commission content for social – videos, online stories, gifs, pictures, Facebook Lives, Instagram Stories, etc. from the BBC Africa TV programme genres
- To be up to date with the new trends on social media and react accordingly.
- Test and provide feedback on new social tools.
- Ensure all content published and commission adheres to BBC Editorial Guidelines and commitment to the editorial aims of BBC News.
- To work with graphic designers to produce creative and original graphics sequences which can be shared by other BBC departments.
- Working closely with colleagues from BBC Africa to identify promising story ideas and content, and help adapt it for online audiences where appropriate.
- To generate ideas and material that can work across all platforms in order to maximise impact and efficiencies.
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 3 yearsRequired skills
: Journalism; Reporting; Content management; Digital content development and editing (social media, blogs, etc.); Social media usage (Facebook, Twitter, etc.); StorytellingRequired languages:
French (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent),