Senior Lead - Procurement
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 7 days left to apply for this job.
WHO WE ARE:
M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of "pay-as-you-go" energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 500,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use installment plan. Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage "credits" for Ksh 50, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting. After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments. This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company's proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPANET.
As of January, 2016 M-KOPA employs over 1000 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of over 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognized for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA has also successfully tested a range of new products that leverage its relationship with customers, and M-KOPA’s unique competencies in mobile telecommunications and ICT. To ensure that the research and development of new products add value to (and do not distract from) its core business, M-KOPA is establishing the M-KOPA Labs. The Labs will be a dedicated business unit within M-KOPA that will define and test extensions of the M-KOPA asset-based credit model for off-grid-power to new products and services.
M-KOPA is looking for a Procurement Senior Lead who will be responsible for procuring all inventory, supplies, services and
capital goods for the company including negotiating price, delivery and credit
terms. Ensures that adequate controls are in place to achieve transparency in
procurement policies. One of the key functions of this position is to advise
senior management on effective strategies for purchasing materials, services
and supplies including establishing and improving procurement procedures and
advise on reporting systems.
- Overall achievement of the key company objectives and drive the company's value preposition through managing the entire procurement process from sourcing to purchase and delivery of goods,components, spare parts, works and service's.
- Identify, maintaining and negotiating ethically with key suppliers to ensure total cost reduction, budgetary compliance, and overall quality adherence in achieving ISO worthy
standards. Anticipate unfavorable events, through analysis of data and prepare
mitigation strategies including forecasting upcoming demand and lead times.
- Charged with the transition from SAGE to MICROSOFT DYNAMICS 365 ERP system on all procurement related matters and to support the user's, finance and inventory teams to migrate and implement on the Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, UK and China markets.
- In charge of formulating the procurement key objectives and results and to spearhead the alignment of the OKR's with the operations focus (attainment of ISO standards) and the overall company mission.
- Establish and maintain business relationships with the key suppliers and ensure that negotiated agreements are implemented. Aggressively pursue competitive purchase environment by constantly seeking alternate supply, product replacement and substitutes. Implement process improvements that aim at increasing efficiencies and reducing costs.
- Oversight and management of the on-boarding processes for new suppliers and maintain relationships with existing suppliers in regards to implementing and maintaining process approval guidelines across the sourcing plan; Verify that all suppliers adhere to set
and global ethical compliance policies; conducting supplier training, feedback,
and learning sessions; compiled, maintained, and validated internal metrics to
formally assess supplier performance; and communicate supplier performance to
legal ,EHS teams and management.
- Implementing tactical purchasing strategies and responsible for planning, developing and buying materials, parts, supplies and equipment using the 5R's of procurement. This includes approval of purchase requisitions and purchase orders.
- Monitor macro trends in supplier and contracts to proactively identify supply base issues to reduce cost, minimize risk, protect continuity of supply, and exploit emerging opportunities.
- Inventory management oversight and quality check monitoring for all warehousing materials including obsolete stock disposal and general oversight on monthly stock counts.
- Originating and controlling the procurement budget.
- Participate in New Product Development project teams
- Overseeing procurement staff welfare and knowledge metrics including staff competencies, training, and retention.
- Set up mutually beneficial contracts with key suppliers to achieve best value and KAIZEN on cost, quantity, quality and delivery terms for M-KOPA. This is done with the help of the legal team.
- Monitoring returns, damage replacements, warranty claims and resolving disputes and claims with vendors and suppliers. I also work with the Environmental Health and Safety teams to ensure compliance to EHS policies and carry out warehouse audits.
- Working closely with the demand forecasting team, departmental head's and budget team
to create purchasing plans, lead-time improvement and inventory reduction programs for the M_KOPA products.
- Bachelor's degree/Master's degree and professional qualification in CPA or CIPS.
- Required relevant work experience of 5 years
- Risk management
- Budgeting, financial planning
- Financial analysis
- Contractual negotiations
- Supply and demand planning
Competitive package covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.Required education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 5 yearsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)