Under the overall direction of the Chief of the Capacity Development and Innovation Branch, the incumbent will provide leadership and management of activities within the Enabling Innovation Unit, as well as will develop, implement and evaluate programmes/projects. The incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business, economics and financial modeling or a related field is required. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management in complex socio-economic settings is required.
Experience working in projects integrating economics at the science-policy interface is desirable
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
• Takes the lead to develop, implement and evaluate assigned programmes/projects including GEF and public-private sector-funded projects; directs subordinates in programme/project development, implementation, monitoring and assessment; directs review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions.
• Establishes and manages partnerships and collaborative efforts to further the implementation of programmes/projects.
• Ensures implementation of gender mainstreaming guidelines by assessing the implications for men and women of any planned action, including legislation, policies or programmes, in all areas and at all levels.
• Directs research and programme evaluation and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
• Coordinates policy development; reviews the assessments of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or research activities and studies.
• Guides design of data, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g., background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
• Directs substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparing documents and presentations, etc.
• Manages outreach activities; designs and conducts training workshops, seminars, etc., makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
• Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and ensures preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
• Ensures effective utilization, supervision and development of staff; guides, evaluates and mentors staff.
• Develops, implements and manages work on natural capital accounts at the national level in coordination with bureaus of statistics, economic, planning and finance ministries.
• Takes the lead to carry out economic valuations at the national and regional levels, including with regional economic commisions.
• Takes the lead to develop and maintain partnerships with financial institutions to work with UNEP on social impact investments in science-based solutions to environmental challenges.
• Takes the lead to develop, implement and evaluate programmes and projects with regard to horizon-scanning and scientific assessments of innovative science-based solutions and related sustainable development finance, and to the scaling up and financing of green, innovative science-based solutions.
• Performs other duties as required.