SENIOR TECHNICAL ADVISOR - Regional Coordinator (SIFA) East Africa
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Fixed term
You have 8 days left to apply for this job.
BackgroundGrowing youth unemployment poses a fundamental challenge for the African continent. In total, around 60 percent of unemployed people in the region are under the age of 25 and young women are especially affected. Even though access to quality education and appropriate job opportunities are essential for the reduction of poverty, political stability, participation, and sustainable development, educational and skills development programs with a practical
orientation are hard to come by in many African countries. In the same vein, there is growing demand for market-oriented skills from both the public and private sector. In just more than a decade from now (by 2030), Africa’s labour market will need to create 20 million jobs annually to absorb the continent’s growing youthful employment seeking population.
In response to these challenges the African Union Commission (AUC), the African Union Development Agency AUDA-NEPAD and the German Development Cooperation have initiated the Skills Initiative for Africa (SIFA). The Skills Initiative for Africa promotes occupational prospects of young Africans through the support of innovative skills development programs and a close cooperation with the private sector as an integral and key stakeholder in the creation of jobs.
To this end, SIFA seeks to partner with the Business Community, through cooperation with apex national, regional and continental business organisations, to find meaningful ways by which to engage to realize the delivery of quality and relevant educational programs. In addition, this cooperation will yield upscaling of practically - oriented skills development and training initiatives to prepare youth at all levels for employment and entrepreneurship opportunities across the continent. Implementation will be guided through application of the
SIFA Private Sector Engagement framework, which provides guiding criteria to support process facilitation for upscaling public-private sector partnerships, for improved youth employment, employability and entrepreneurship outcomes. The underlying value preposition of SIFA Private
Sector Engagement framework, is to facilitate an Ecosystem Engagement approach as strategy to rally private sector participation in the implementation of shared objectives and thereby facilitate and sustain systematic engagement with a diversity of key ecosystem stakeholders to achieve inclusive job and wealth creation for African youth.
Consequently, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), on behalf of its implementation partners, the AUC and AUDA-NEPAD, seeks to employ a suitably qualified, motivated, and innovative individual for the position of a Senior Technical Advisor for the management and facilitation of private sector partnerships with the TVET sector and other key stakeholders for employment-oriented skills development.
Promote SIFA objectives and ensure alignment to the existing policy framework for national skills development; and relatedly facilitate anchorage of SIFA objectives/national
plans within existing national public-private/private-private sector platforms and programmes; as well as regional wide related initiatives
Main engagement and facilitation will be through the national private sector apex organisations
Providing strategic and technical expertise to the private sector, training organisations, development agencies and government bodies. This includes the coordination of stakeholder engagements and multi-stakeholder initiatives.
B. Main Duties1. Technical
- Inaugurate and facilitate partnerships between private sector bodies, training institutions, governments, civil society, bilateral initiatives and programmes to ensure demand-oriented skills development.
- Convene multi-stakeholder participatory workshops at the national, regional and continental levels to bring TVET and higher education institutions, government, and the private sector as well the youth themselves, together to discuss collaboration and share experience in skills development and entrepreneurship program implementation (Afrika talks Jobs/ Africa create jobs)
- Undertake scoping of projects relating to transformative initiatives which promote innovative skills development, employment accelerators, future of work and enterprise development for youth as well as private-sector led labour market information systems;
- Support national actors (private sector, local technical and vocational educational institutions,
higher education institutions, government, civil society and development partners) to develop national skills development partnership action plans; attendant results framework to monitor and evaluate progress
- Support additional countries within the region to set- up similar engagements through sharing of lessons and exchange
2. Monitoring and reporting
- Support M&E and specifically regular progress and annual monitoring and reporting;
- Develop an overview of program activities, progress, lessons learnt, challenges etc. and presents this regularly at team meetings;
- Recording and documenting the results of project activities;
- Preparing and managing consultancy assignments and monitor short-term experts assigned to project;- Prepare and present reports on progress made and best practice guidelines
3. Knowledge management
-Collect and disseminate Good practice examples on national, regional and continental
level to foster the knowledge exchange between all stakeholders. - Steer and facilitate discussion virtually on African Skills Portal for Employment and
Entrepreneurship (ASPYEE) as part of policy development and advocacy and the development of service products/knowledge products for AU member states
C. Required Qualifications, Competencies and Experience 1. Qualifications:
An Honours degree (Masters preferred) in one of the following fields:·
Education, development studies, political science, business administration, project
management, employment or equivalent 2. Professional experience
Candidates should have skills and experience in the following areas, and be able to demonstrate a track record of at least 7 years in one or more of these:
- A high level/strategic thinker with evidence of meaningful contribution to development planning acquired over a long period;
Experience in the field of Skills Development/TVET/employment/private sector engagement; business administration, development economics, development studies, employment and labour market assessment.
- Demonstrated ability to work on complex development related issues;
- Experience and track-record working with private sector and/or private sector organizations;
- Proven excellent report writing and Strong communications skills – verbal and writing;
- Demonstrated skills in project management, business negotiation, and
working with institutional leaders (public sector, private sector, civil
society, development partners);
- Experience coordinating/ facilitating multi-stakeholder workshops;
- Ability to be a self-starter and work productively with limited on-site supervision, and minimal administrative support;
- Resident with a valid work permit in the country hosting the regional SIFA Program Coordination Office;
- Understanding of international development cooperation; work experience in advising partners
and developing concepts jointly with partners (preferably AUDA-NEPAD/AUC) will be an advantage;
- Proficiency in English, knowledge of French/Arabic/Kiswahili is an advantage
SIFA is a multi-partner programme. Reporting responsibilities will be as follows: to the SIFA Secretariat Team (AUDA-NEPAD Agency and GIZ) for guidance and technical leadership; the GIZ local country Office on logistics and administration; and to the respective in-country private sector anchor partner organisation for oversight along agreed implementation plans.
Job RequirementsRequired education: Post-graduate education
Required relevant work experience: 7 years
Required languages: English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Please have a scan or photo of these documents ready when you start the application:Self-prepared CV file - the employer wants to see a CV that you have prepared yourselfEducation certificate - the official certificate for your highest education
Other Jobs at GIZ KE
Junior Technical Advisor- Employment and Skills for Development in Africa (E4D) Kenya (2 Positions)
GIZ KE / Nairobi
Kenya / Platinum Credit Ltd(KE)
Nairobi / KK Security Company Limited
Nairobi / Tester
Kenya / Amplus International
Bandsmen and women
Nairobi / Ministry of Defence