Special Assistant Administration
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 14 days left to apply for this job.
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. Under the overall leadership of the Executive and Deputy Executive Director, the Special Assistant/Principal Adviser will provide strategic policy advice on emerging human settlements policy issues and programme related matters and act as team leader and coordinator to selected reform processes in the context of UN-HABITAT restructuring.
The incumbent will work in close coordination and cooperation with senior managers in UN-HABITAT and where required with other offices of the UN-Secretariat, Funds and Programmes and specialized agencies. The Special Assistant is ex-officio member of UN-Habitat's Executive Committee. Under the overall leadership of the Executive and Deputy Executive Director the incumbent will perform the following duties;
1. In cooperation with relevant offices, lead the identification of emerging human settlement policy issues, undertake preliminary research, identify and promote the need for further research and provide briefings to the Executive Director, the Deputy Executive Director and the Executive Committee.Required education
2. Draft, finalize and present policy briefs and papers on emerging human settlements issues for consideration by the Executive Director, the Deputy Executive Director and the Executive Committee.
3. Draft policy statements and speeches for the Executive Director.
4. Provide in close cooperation with the Office of Resource Mobilization and Strategic Partnerships support and assistance to UN-Habitat funding raising activities.
5. Lead and coordinate selected reform processes an directed by the Executive Director, in particular in areas related to programme coordination, results based management and resource planning, as well as information communication.
6. Provide strategic policy guidance and participate in the development of coherent and impact based programmes of work responding to the mandate of the UN-Habitat Assembly.
7. Lead other strategic teams established by the Executive Director to address policy and other issues.
8. Provide direction and support on the integration and emerging human settlements issues in UN-Habitat's programme of work and in the work of the substantive offices.
9. On behalf of the Executive Director support the building of high -level alliances in key UN-Habitat partners (UN agencies, IGOs, Governments, municipalities, NGOs, Regional and National institutions academia and private sector) to enlist their support and involvements in human settlements policy development.
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 10 yearsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)