Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Fixed term
You have 17 days left to apply for this job.
EducationAdvanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in statistics, mathematics or related field. A first level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Work ExperienceA minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in the collection, compilation, analysis and dissemination of statistical data or related area is required.Experience with international negotiations related to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Global Indicator Framework, and the Statistical Commission is desirable.Experience with capacity development on Environment Statistics is desirable.Experience in developing and implementing statistical methodologies is desirable.
LanguagesEnglish and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
AssessmentEvaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Special NoticeAppointment against this post is for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension. Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
Responsibilities• Enhance the development of methods for obtaining relevant data for 26 SDG indicators for which UNEP is the Custodian Agency, mainly related to water, sustainable consumption and production, oceans, biodiversity, and chemicals and waste in cooperation with Partner Organisations.Required education
• Compile and report data on the 26 SDG indicators for which UNEP is the Custodian Agency to the to the UN SDG global database. Ensure the quality of collected data for accuracy, consistency and comparability. Ensure that reporting data are validated by the countries. Provide metadata and indicator methodology guidance to countries.
• Provide analysis on the progress of SDG targets related to the evnvironmental dimension of the SDGs for the Secretary General's Report on progress towards the goals and targets of the 2030 SD agenda at the global level. Provide analysis of progress on the environment dimension to UN Environment Assembly. Develop new or improved statistical methods and quantitative models for analysis and projections. Plan and conduct analytical programmes of work in relevant areas related to disaggregation of statistics, including gender environment statistics.
• Contribute to the Common Country Analysis in the context of the UN Development System Reform. Identify and prepare projects, conduct analysis and participate in technical advisory activities for national capacity building. Implement projects on capacity building of environment statistics in countries.
• Supervise and contribute to the development and maintenace of the World Environment Situation Room Global Database, web publishing tools and other software for collection, storage and distribution of statistical data; guidelines on environment statistics, and on-line training modules for capacity development on environment statistics.
• Undertake methodological research with regard to standards on concepts, definitions and classifications to assist countries and other constituents in strengthening their statistical development with regard to the Framework on Environment Statistics (FDES) and the System for Environmental and Economic Acounting (SEEA).
• Represent UNEP in the Committee of Chief Statisticians of the UN System. Provide guidance and advice to other departments, regional offices, field experts, etc., in the planning, operation and evaluation of statistical programmes and projects.
• Plan and co-ordinate seminars, workshops, expert meetings, side events, etc.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
: Post-graduate educationRequired relevant work experience
: 7 yearsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)