Job verified by Fuzu
Ministry of Energy and Petroleum | Nairobi, Kenya | Log in or register to see the closing date
Technical Advisor Solar
Click to apply
- Bachelor's degree
- Energy, power
- Expert (non-managerial)
- Full Time
JOB REF NO: KE-MOE-28269-CS-INDV
Application Process Interested and qualified persons are requested to make their applications as follows:
(i) Submit their applications in person to 23rd Floor, Nyayo House, (Office of the Principal Secretary/ Energy) or send to the address shown below clearly stating the reference Number in the letter on the envelope by close of business on 3rd March, 2018 at 4.30pm.
(ii) Applications should include detailed CVs indicating day time contacts, current and expected salary, names and contacts of three referees. Copies of all relevant Certificates/Testimonials and copy of national ID/ Passport must be attached.
(iii) The Ministry of Energy, avails equal employment opportunities to all Kenyans. Women, persons living with disabilities, the marginalized and minorities are encouraged to apply. Any form of canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification. Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
• A Bachelors degree in engineering discipline related to energy, power generation and/or distribution, specialization in renewable energy preferably PV technology
• Possession of a masters degree in any of the above discipline will be an added advantage
• Minimum of 8years of experience in the utility/energy sector with extensive knowledge and experience in renewable energy sources in particular solar PV
• Practical experience in similar assignments, preferably with experience in renewable energy projects
• Demonstrated analytical clarity, problem solving skills and negotiating skills with ability to balance project objectives and technical requirements with client needs
• Exceptional degree of integrity, judhgement and tact in handling sensitive, diverse and confidential material
Provide guidance and assistance in procurement of solar Photovoltaic (PV) system equipment, components, related works as well as consulting services in compliance with the world bank procurement regulations for borrowers and in line with the GoK procurement regulations, Specifically to:
• Assist the implementing agency in the formulation of tendering procedures and drafting of all document requirements to ensure the conclusion of successful bidding and negotiations of the solar mini grids, solar stand-alone systems and solar water pumping systems.
• Assist the implementing agency on the appropriate designs and size of generation plants for each site based on analysis from recruited design consultants for the solar mini-grids, solar community stand alone systems and solar water pumping. The technical advisor also to review and advice on obtaining borehole camera inspection report, borehole yields and advice before tendering for their works.
• Support and advice the PCU to deliver an agreeable power purchase agreement between the service providers and the off taker. For the solar water pumps, determine the lowest water tariff to be charged to the communities given that water is a basic need.
• Provide technical expertise primarily relating to mini grids solar water pumping systems, standalone solar PV systems for community/public facilities and household solar home systems.
• Provide guidance and advice to the project executing agencies (MOE,KPLC,REA) to ensure successful delivery of expected outputs as well as technical assurance of the project.
• Provide advice on the scientific and technical knowledge in particular to guide the PCU in project planning. This will involve the implementation of monitoring and evaluation plan with performance indicators, baseline and target for each output and the detailed work plan and budget on the basis of the logical framework.
• Ensure that the outputs which are to arise from the projects are of high quality and meet the stated objectives.
• Provide technical advice at the planning, management and implementation stages.
• Liaise with global scientific and technical community and feed the project with the latest information and data on relevant technologies and experience.
• Participate in PCU and PIU meetings and provide inputs on the quality, quantity and timeliness of progress against the work plan.
• Provide inputs for the preparation of progress reports, Annual project reports and projhect implementation reviews.
• Support capacity building of counterparts an other local staff to ensure effective skills and technology transfer
• Ensure proper and speedy implementation of the project by ensuring agreed and contracted technical designs, specifications and standards comply and are in accordance with sound engineering practice.
• Advise on suitability of the proposed business model for the solar mini-grids, stand-alone solar systems and the solar water pumping systems.
• Any other duties as may be assigned by the project coordinator.
General InformationSalary range
: Not specifiedAdditional information
: Not specifiedContract type
: TemporaryJob type
: Full TimeLocation
: NairobiArea of work
: Energy, powerSeniority
: Expert (non-managerial)
Job RequirementsRequired education
: Bachelor's degreeRequired relevant work experience
: 7 yearsRequired skills
: Project monitoring and evaluation (M&E); Power and energy solutions; Quality management; Capacity planning; Project implementationRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Click to apply