Oh dear! This job has already closed. But don't worry, you can find other similar jobs from Fuzu.
The purpose of the present job opening is to invite applications to sit the combined competitive examination for English-language Translators/Précis-Writers, Editors, Verbatim Reporters and Copy Preparers/ Proofreaders/ Production Editors, which will be held in two parts. Each part of the examination is eliminatory: only those successful in part one will be convoked to part two, and only those successful in part two will be placed on the roster for recruitment. Part one of the examination is tentatively scheduled to take place on 3 April 2017 and will be carried out entirely online.
• Duties and responsibilities depend on the service/section and duty station in which the position is located.
• In Translator/Précis-Writer positions, they include: translating, subject to revision, documents covering a broad range of subjects dealt with by the United Nations, i.e., in the political, social, legal, economic, financial, administrative, scientific and technical fields; and attending meetings (alone or as part of a team) and preparing a draft summary record of the proceedings.
• In Editor positions, they include ensuring that the phraseology, the terminology and, where appropriate, the translation of documents are correct and that their style is appropriate to their audience; editing for continuity, logic, completeness, relevance of material, readability, clarity of expression and consistency, as well as spelling, punctuation and grammar; verifying the accuracy of facts, figures and references through research and consultation; identifying unclear or ambiguous statements and proposing amendments for consideration by the author, the supervising editor or the relevant translation service.
• In Verbatim Reporter positions, they include producing in extenso verbatim records of meetings; editing the original language version as necessary for accuracy, making the required changes for style, syntax and grammar, and parliamentary procedure; transcribing and/or translating assigned portions of meetings; comparing transcripts of interpretation with original language versions to ensure completeness and accuracy of the records; and translating passages that are either inaccurate or incomplete.
• In Copy Preparer/Proofreader/Production Editor positions, they include copy-editing electronic manuscripts of publications, ensuring accuracy of content, terminology, grammar, syntax, punctuation and spelling, and conformity with United Nations style; importing text into desktop publishing software and completing formatting of text, tabular matter, front matter and back matter, using electronic templates and style sheets; proofreading galley or page proofs against original source manuscript to ensure that the printed version is a true transcription of the text supplied for publishing, and introducing corrections of substance, spelling, grammar, style and typography; completing cross references within text and footnotes, as well as pagination and correlation of tables of contents with listed items in a publication; checking the concordance of text with texts of other official languages to ensure substantive and typographical conformity; and reading amended proofs against previous proofs and incorporating additional editorial alterations as required.