Uganda Country Director
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 1 days left to apply for this job.
Who we are
We are a US-registered, Kampala-HQed social enterprise startup focused on solving the last-mile human capital challenges of clean energy companies in Uganda to accelerate clean energy adoption and increase rural youth employment.
We’re a young, hardworking team based in Kampala that values growth mindset and creativity. We take a human centered approach to designing our services, are champions of inclusivity, and are obsessive about designing life changing services that promote youth employability in a
As the Co-Founders of Enlight switch to a more strategic role and transition out of living in Uganda full time, we are looking for a new Country Director with strong leadership skills to run the organization in Uganda moving forward.
As Country Director of Enlight Uganda you will have full control over operations in Uganda, and be expected to run with Enlight’s vision across clients, local and international stakeholders as the face of the organization in Uganda. You will be managing clients and partnerships
across the country, ensuring good relations and quick problem solving. You will also play an integral part in designing, testing and iterating Enlight’s Way of talent development, and seeking a balance of business profitability and social impact in helping youth and women succeed. You should be comfortable working in a fast paced, start-up environment, quickly adapt to change, and be open to learning.
Key Responsibilities: Strategy:Required education
Take Enlight’s core mission and vision as a starting point for developing and
implementing your own vision around the organization in Uganda:
- Organize and run internal strategy meetings to identify company objectives and performance targets for the year and a portfolio of initiatives required to achieve them.
- Collect relevant data that will underpin recommendations during strategy meetings.
- Report to board quarterly results on results and progress against the strategy plan/company priorities, assess the strategic initiatives and reprioritize if needed.
- Effectively communicate to employees and external stakeholders the strategy, targets, and priority initiatives.
Manage a growing team of full-time staff to work at a globally competitive pace and a network of contracted trainers and coaches. This includes:
- Recruitment and onboarding of staff.
- Conduct frequent (weekly or every two weeks) 1:1 check-ins with each reportee.
- Work with each Employee to co-design performance development plans and set objectives.
- Carry out formal reviews every 6 months.
Oversee the development and iteration of our services and
value proposition to different clients and stakeholders.
- Question our core business assumptions to ensure product-market fit.
- Oversee development of our line of services and offerings, including pricing models.
- Oversee the iteration of our current coaching methodology based on customer and coach feedback and data.
- Put in place processes for lean data collection & feedback loops around our impact that informs continuous improvement of our services.
Liaison with key local and international stakeholders and
be the face of Enlight in Uganda
- Build partnerships that drive our strategic initiatives.
- Represent the company at events, meetings, industry meetups, workshops, etc.
- Conduct regular check-ins with our funding partners, prepare progress reports or any data/reporting requested by the funding partner.
Oversee development and implementation of marketing efforts.
Sales & Client Management:
- Oversee the marketing strategy and plan, including prioritizing marketing methods/initiatives, setting the performance indicators and processes to measure them, and measuring the ROI.
- Oversee the development of marketing content & publishing schedule on social media and other sources
Oversee and grow revenue and client base.
- Build a sales process and recruit a sales team that can move clients through the sales pipeline to close.
- Develop proposals for tenders and bids that come up.
- Periodically update/revise our Sales Playbook, based on new customer insights.
- Client Relations /Accounts Management: Develop and implement client relationship plan to keep and upsell clients
- Organize and run monthly operations review meetings.
- Manage and optimize our internal systems (Project Management, CRM, Google Drive/storage)
- Provide IT support to the team (e.g. email set up, training on support platforms, software updates, etc.)
Manage the business financials to build a profitable yet impactful business model, with results reported to parent organization (Enlight USA):
- Manage a financial model to determine resource needs and allocations.
- Analyze and review financial data, report financial performance, manage budgets and cash flow.
- Analyze company financial health (against 3-4 primary metrics revenue, net profit margin, runway.
- Oversee record keeping and financial reporting.
- Put together a fundraising plan for presenting to the board
Oversee the HR backend.
- Ensure all employees are familiar with the company HR policies and code of conduct, including the Employee’s rights.
- Drafting Contractor Agreements / Employment Contracts.
- Oversee payroll, employee benefits (health insurance, annual leave), track employee requests for leave.
- Review and update Employment Handbook, Disciplinary Policy, and other relevant policies every 6 months.
- Make salary decisions, negotiate contracts with new employees.
Additional (but not required):
- Minimum 10 years of experience working both internationally and within Uganda.
- Prior experience at the Director level or higher within a private sector or revenue-generating impact organization.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) with ability to work quickly and
- Strong business /financial skills, with the ability to oversee financial modeling, bookkeeping and fundraising to drive both financial results and social impact.
- Very strong writing skills with extremely strong attention to detail to ensure proper
grammar, punctuation and formatting.
- Strong emotional intelligence, with the ability to self-reflect and accept constructive
- Proactive, independent growth mindset with the ability to motivate a team.
- Strong leadership, organizational, and project management skills.
- East African national or permanent resident with valid work permit.
- Practical experience in professional development coaching or training.
- Knowledge of human centered design.
- Sound understanding of the RE sector in Uganda.
- Sound understanding of the Ugandan HR/Employment law.
: Post-graduate educationRequired relevant work experience
: 10 yearsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)
Please have a scan or photo of these documents ready when you start the application:Self-prepared CV file
- the employer wants to see a CV that you have prepared yourself
1 days left to apply