Water Resources Modeler (REF: EAC/LVBC/HR/19-20/03)
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Permanent
You have 14 days left to apply for this job.
The main purpose of the job will be to support the Programme Coordinator Integrated Water Resources Management for Lake Victoria Basin (IWRM-LVB) programme and Water Resources Management Office in the Programme areas of Integrated Water Resources Management and Development Sectors and Environment and Natural Resources in aspects related to IWRM data base systems and water resources modeling.
Qualifications and experience
1. At least Master’s degree in Hydroinformatics – Modelling and Information System for Water Management, water resources engineering or related fields
2. Minimum of 8 years of related experience in development and use of hydrologic/river-reservoir models for water resources problems; with at least 3 years at senior level; and at least five years of experience in database development and application of GIS for water resources management.
3. Experience in economic-hydrologic modelling with emphasis on large river basins and profound experience with and relational databases and SQL, preferably in Postgress.
Competencies and skills
Communication, presentation, computer, conceptual, numeracy, statistical, analytical, writing, and research skills;
Demonstrated initiative, personal dynamism and self-motivated;
Knowledge in statistics software packages
A team player, with ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
Ability to work with minimum supervision; and
- Ability to coordinate regional workshops, seminars and conferences in English, the working language of the East African Community.
You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted
- EAC Staff Rules and Regulations precludes considerations of applicants above 55 years of age
1. Supervise and coordinate the planning and implementation of water resources models and data bases which are being developed under the LVBC as well as support the development of water resources plans through the development of the Lake Victoria (LV) IWRM model and data base systems that provide a framework for sharing knowledge, understanding lake basin system behavior, evaluating alternative development and management schemes, and supporting informed decision making from a regional perspective.
2. Assist in the integration of the sub basin models during the development and Implementation of the Lake Victoria IWRM model including, compilation, processing and archiving of related data and information to ensure timely access to and acquisition of regional data and information required for the development and testing of the LV IWRM model
3. Development and maintenance of LVB and River Basin Water resources information databases including water quality, hydrometeorology, irrigation, hydropower development, permits etc.;
4. Development and maintenance of the LVB and River Basin Geographical Information Systems;
5. ensure the effective coordination, supervision of development and implementation of the LV IWRM model in close collaboration with regional agencies like the Nile Basin Initiative and updating the data bases as well as linkage to overall basin-wide project objectives and activities.
6. Development of water quality data monitoring framework and support its implementation in the EAC Partner States, including capacity building in data collection, network planning, maintenance and data processing;
7. Archiving and consolidation of socio-economic information related to water resources planning and development;
8. Provide data support to IWRM projects in formats required for planning; monitoring and evaluation; and project reporting and will be responsible for the production of the required regular and ad hoc reports.
9. Together with the Water Resources Management Officer (WRMO) at the LVBC and the project coordinators, and Partner States, identify modeling needs, functional requirements and components for the Lake basin models.
10. Liase with the Consultants and LVBC project coordinators to train and build the capacity of national level and local government staff in the use of the models and data bases as part of skill transfer and institutional strengthening.
11. Maintain close contacts with other planned/operational projects in the relevant fields and ensure integration of the Water Resources Planning regional dimension into those projects.
12. Work closely with the with the LVBC IWRM Programme Management and Implementation Consultants; and
13. Perform related duties as assigned by the Deputy Executive Secretary.Required education
: Post-graduate educationRequired relevant work experience
: 7 yearsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)