The HR Generalist is responsible for the proper management of HR processes, resources, policies and procedures including development and implementation, full employee circle administration. (Recruitment to on boarding),exit management, Performance Management, Payroll Management, People management, systems, policies and procedures development and implementation, staff compensation and benefits administration, department leadership, occupational health and Safety, HR data and Reporting, and employee benefits.
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Bachelors degree preferably in Human Resources or equivalent field
- Membership in a professional HR body such as IHRM, SHRM, CIPD or equivalent.
Required Skills & Competencies
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the area of HR and/or administration
- Must be comfortable explaining complex technical & procedural requirements in straightforward language
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office Suite (high proficiency in Excel); various HRIS software and/or benefit/payroll management systems essential. Must be comfortable working with computers with minimal IT support.
- Keen eye for detail and strong proof reading skills
- Strong self-awareness and commitment towards result delivery and continuous improvement
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral). Experience communicating in diverse cultural or work environments preferred.
- Fluent in both written and spoken English.
- Willingness to travel.
- Willingness to learn and develop skills in training.
- Genuine interest in and commitment to humanitarian principles.
- Ability to work in a high pressure environment, taking initiative & prioritizing multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Proven ability to model core HR values of confidentiality, fairness and discretion
- Must be authorized to work in Kenya if not a Kenyan citizen.
Implementation of Human Resource Programs
- Develop and implement Human Resources policies, procedures, systems and initiatives that foster the organizational culture and way of working, optimize staff productivity and organizational effectiveness in line with organization’s strategy frameworks, best practice and national statutory requirements.
- Evaluating effectiveness through compiling and analyzing data by typically preparing and distributing various reports on HR metrics (KPIs) to support decision making.
- All HR functions including recruitment training facilitation, employee relations, Onboarding and Exit Management, Performance Management, Compensation and Benefits, Learning and Development, Conflicts management and Payroll administration.
- Maintaining a pay plan by budgets; monitoring and scheduling individual pay actions; recommending, planning, and implementing pay structure revisions.
- Leads on Action Against Hunger Recruitment for Horn and Eastern Africa Regional office and employment processing, working closely with hiring Managers.
- Preparing and following up on the on-boarding program of each new employee and work with line Horn and Eastern Africa Regional offices, employees and Head of office to manage, follow-up and managing exits including ensuring that all relevant HR forms and administrative documents are completed and filed.
- Manages the HRIS for Regional office staff ensuring all staff files are up to date and ensuring full internal and external compliance of the Regional Office at all times,
- Manages health and welfare benefits for regional staff balancing the need for competitive employer practices and financial cost-consciousness.
- In charge of obtaining and tracking all work authorizations (work permits/Pass), visas and passports for Regional office staff and all visiting staff from US Member office, country offices and network including document numbers, expiration dates, paperwork required and processing timelines. Ensures the Regional office copies of all visa documentation and related correspondence are filed correctly.
- Ensured legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable Human Resources in compliance with national employment legal requirements; conducting investigations; maintaining records; representing the organization at hearings, and responsible for HR related services contract negotiations.
- Recommend HR solutions by collecting and analyzing information; recommending courses of action and program to management to increase employee’s engagement and motivation.
- Advises and seeks solutions on employee performance in the Regional office by identifying and clarifying problems; evaluating potential solutions; implementing solutions serving as a counsellor for Horn and Eastern Africa Regional offices and employees.
- Proactively and independently seeks ways to update work related knowledge by participating in educational opportunities (reading professional publications, maintaining personal network, attending webinars, participating in professional organizations).
- Works with the Regional Human Resource Director at Nairobi Regional office in writing & updating the Regional office employee handbooks. Leads the roll out of the Regional Office employee handbook ensuring all staff are aware of the handbook provisions.
- Responsible for building and updating the HR portal on the No Hunger Forum including managing the relationship with ACF-HEARO IT department to ensure key documents guiding Regional HR staff are accessible.
- Provide Human Resources Department leadership and management of HEARO workforce.
- Responsible for end-to-end management of all Regional Office staff contracts including drafting and administering contracts and offer letters, Extensions, advising hiring Managers on position level and position steps to ensure equity, fairness, transparency and competitiveness while balancing organizational needs and financial considerations.
- Execute and manage the monthly payroll for all Regional Office staff. Responsible for accuracy and timeliness of the monthly payroll. Works closely with the Regional office finance team on payroll adjustments and execution.
- Regional reference and primary focal point for payroll collaborating with key stakeholders.
- Responsible and accountable for the accuracy of all Regional HR information including the collection, preparation of timely, accurate data to support ACF HEARO and a wider view of HR activities that enables informed decision –making and consistent information for stakeholders.
- Oversee, track and analyze all information. Amongst other things this encompasses:
- Tracking, and reconciling all Regional office paid and un-paid time off such as vacation/sick/summer Fridays/personal days etc.
- Filing all Regional office timesheets.
- Tracking Regional office timesheets in the HRIS to ensure 100% compliance.
- Highlighting discrepancies to relevant line Managers.
- Ensures key document retention compliance requirements are met as per government regulations
- Manage the internal HR Dashboard.
- Ensure planning, monitoring, and appraisal of employee work results by training Horn and Eastern Africa Regional offices to coach and discipline employees; scheduling management conferences with employees; hearing and resolving employee grievances; counseling employees and supervisors.
- Maintain Human Resource staff job results by counseling and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Comply with local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Works with Regional Human Resource Director to source and evaluate new benefit offerings, including reviewing pricing and changes to services offered by each vendor. obtaining and evaluating benefit contract bids; awarding benefit contracts;
- Support country offices in Technical analysis of the Medical insurance, Employers Practice Liability insurance (EPLI) and other HR related services being sourced.
Employee Benefits Management
- Source and Manage HEARO home based staff and their dependents benefits (Medical insurances) Scheme in their respective countries of origin.
- Ensures all Regional office staff are enrolled and de-enrolled in employee benefits.
- Together with the finance team, directing the processing of benefit claims; ensures timely reconciliation and payment of all benefits’ invoices.
- Maintain employee benefits programs and informs employees of benefits by studying and assessing benefit needs and trends; recommending benefit programs to management and designing and conducting educational programs on benefit programs.
- Works collaboratively with the Managers to ensure thorough and consistent information exchange for all staff as it relates to employee benefits.
- Ensures the accuracy of benefits policies and procedures as presented in the Regional office employee handbook.
- Distributes updates to all Regional office staff related to benefit programs, policies and plan modifications.
- Utilizes available in-house tools and resources to independently resolve benefits issues. Seeks solutions, using both internal and external resources, in order to provide answers to employee benefits questions, issues and concerns.
- Creates a work plan with clear deadlines for consultations with vendors, management decisions and employee enrolments.
- Organizes, prepares and communicates all materials for the employee benefit kit. Addresses questions and provides guidance to employees and Managers on benefit related queries.
- Continuously evaluates and researches ways to improve and refine aforementioned steps in the benefits process.
- Reviews the Regional office employee benefits plan designs and makes recommendations to improve existing plans in line with best practices, organizational values and financial considerations.
- In charge of end to end recruitment of the Regional office staff.
- Advertising of positions
- Shortlisting candidates, Phone screens
- Scheduling interviews and technical tests
- Follow-up with candidates including administration and analysis of interview experience survey
- Participating in interview panels
- Collaborate with hiring Horn and Eastern Africa Regional offices in the Regional office to ensure smooth end to end recruitment for the Regional office positions.
Occupational health and safety.
- Continuously rolling out and providing training to the staff at the regional office on occupational health and safety.
- Establishing and maintaining an OH&S Statutory Compliance register to help monitor and evaluate the compliance of the organization to Occupational Health and Safety Statutory/Regulatory requirements i.e OSHA,WIBA.
- Ensuring the maintenance team understand the value of lockout/tag out system and many more.
Organizations culture and Employee engagement
- As HR Generalisttake a leadership role in developing an excellent organizational culture that enables employees to perform in accordance to Action Against Hunger objectives, Core Values and Charter of Principles, and promote a sense of Pride Purpose and belonging.
- Works closely with Regional office managers to strategize, build, customize and refine tools to facilitate process work flows and/or provide guidance and direction to staff.
- Primary contact for Regional Office employees while their work authorizations or visas are being processed.
- Develops a calendar for Regional office motivational sessions and a primary focal point for organizing and implementing ACF HEARO staff teambuilding activities in line with staff needs and financial requirements.
- Promote a culture of excellence within the Regional office and upholds the core values of Action Against Hunger Horn And Eastern Africa Regional Office in the day to day work.