The overall goal of the behavioral change and awareness campaigns is to transform perceptions of different stakeholders along the value chain, to support market adaptation, and get the full acceptance of new technology and approaches. To achieve this, support will be tailored to the needs of the specific PUE market segments. Therefore, the design, planning, and implementation will be done in close collaboration with the technology distributors to facilitate adapted and effective design and implementation.
- Firm or consultant with relevant technical knowledge, skills, and extensive work experience in designing and implementing social and behavioral change interventions.
- Applicants must be able to legally operate in Kenya.
- Five years of progressive professional experience in similar assignments.
- Knowledge and/or experience in agriculture and/or renewable energy will be an added advantage.
The awareness and behavior change campaigns will include a mix of targeted and general approaches in reaching out to the stakeholders at different levels to achieve the following specific objectives:
- Promote behavior change among farmers and farmer organizations,
- Promote the SWP value proposition in horticulture and dairy value chains,
- Broker B2B linkages between farmer groups, cooperatives, agribusinesses, and energy service providers,
- Sensitize local financial institutions and micro-credit organizations and specialized NGOs to encourage lending for SWP technologies and businesses targeting smallholders, while also creating awareness on the availability of SWP micro-credit,
- Sensitize representatives from the political and legislative arena as well as key-value chain or agricultural sector representatives from the respective target countries to sensitize them on necessary measures to encourage SWP technologies and business cases,
- Target women and youth and their local organizations as well as local agriculture and nutrition advisory services (where available) to sensitize them about nutrition issues related to SWP technologies,
- Create awareness on the GHG emission reduction of SWP technologies and the connection with climate changes endangering farmers’ activities.
Based on the above, the consultant will provide support to design and implement the awareness and behavior change campaigns. The outputs for this assignment are expected as follows:
- Initial work plan and methodology for the assignment,
- Assessment to gain an in-depth understanding of the behavior change dynamics related to the purchase and use of the technologies (irrigation, cooling, and drying) being promoted by the project including behavior change barriers, drivers, and best practices. This should build on previous studies and lessons from similar interventions, extensive stakeholder engagement (including farmers, farmer groups, and technology suppliers), field reports, and surveys conducted in the target counties.
- Design awareness and BCC strategy (including but not limited to the situation analysis, audience segmentation, communication objectives methodologies, approaches, communications channels, implementation guidelines, a work plan including media planning, and a plan for monitoring and evaluation).
- Design the most effective communication messages, tools, and materials adapted to the needs of the PUE technologies and markets targeted by the project.
- Provide technical and advisory support to pilot the proposed strategy including pre-testing of the messages, tools, and materials for different media/ target audiences,
- Share experiences from the pilot interventions and lessons learned and undertake training for the project team and the participating companies to continue with implementation.
- Assignment completion report summarizing the outputs from the consultancy with recommendations for future application of behavioral change interventions.