EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
▪ Master’s degree in Nursing from a recognized institution.
▪ Bachelor of Science in Nursing from a recognized institution.
▪ Kenya Registered Nurse/Midwife.
▪ Must be registered with the Nursing Council of Kenya with a valid practicing
▪ Minimum of 10 years nursing experience with 5 years at management level.
• Assist the Director Nursing Services in the development and implementation of the
Nursing division strategy in line with the Hospital’s strategic plan.
• Participate in the review and dissemination of policies, procedures, guidelines and
directives in the division and evaluate their outcomes.
• Participate in the improvement of nursing care through protocols of care utilisation,
evaluation and effective communication in collaboration with medical staff and
• Keep abreast with new developments in nursing services and advice the Director
Nursing Services on how these impact on the division.
• Define, agree and monitor nursing standards with a view of continuously improve
the quality of the nursing care in the medical wards.
• Manage implementation and evaluation of quality control methods in nursing in
compliance with established standards.
• Ensure safe and continuous provision of clinical nurse management cover in the
medical wards in line with established protocols.
• Ensure implementation and maintenance of infection control procedures and
standards by the nursing team in the medical wards• Participate in investigation of patients’ complaints and make recommendations in
the light of the findings in line with established guidelines.
• Participate and/or chair committee meetings as nominated by Director Nursing
Services in line with the division’s requirements.
• Carry outward rounds regularly in order to be in touch with patients and check the
environment, availability and effective utilisation of resources.
• Ensure orientation packages for orientation of nurses joining the Hospital are up to
date and evaluate the learning outcomes and progress to ensure nurses integrate
fully in the culture and systems of the Hospital.
• Identify training and continuous professional development needs of qualified
nurses in new clinical nursing techniques and procedures, determine the practical
component of programmes and evaluate training outcomes.
• Determine the cadres of staff and ensure there exists a right skill mix in the medical
• Provide support in training for the peri-operative nurses by ensuring orientation,
placement and rotation of students in the clinical area as well as ensure the syllabus
of the school is in tandem with the practise in the hospital.
• Promote nursing research, assist in implementation of research findings and
recommendations as well as evaluate effectiveness in improving the quality of
• Uphold high levels of patient confidentiality and work ethic in line with applicable
code of conduct and hospital objectives.
• Build, lead and motivate a competent medical ward nursing team that will in turn
ensure that the department has the right people in the right places to sustainably
support the delivery of nursing services at the Hospital; and
• Any other responsibilities that may be assigned to the job holder by the supervisor
from time to time.