Join Africa's fastest growing career community!

Featured

Meet the Women Behind Some of the Greatest Brands

Take a look at some great women who are the driving force behind their companies as we International Women’s Day 2022.

Article Preview Image

Take a look at some great women who are the driving force behind their companies as we International Women’s Day 2022.

One of Nigeria’s top female artists, Simi, was right when she said, “Nobody be like woman”. Women are a major driving force in the African economy, influencing everything from the business world to workplaces and the informal retail market.

Women have struggled in these past times, especially with the advent of the Covid-19 pandemic. According to McKinsey's research, the pandemic was a major setback for women all over the world, having an immediate impact on women's employment. While all women have been affected, three major groups have faced the most difficulties: working mothers, women in senior management positions, and Black women.

At Fuzu, we believe in not only creating a gender-balanced environment but also empowering every woman who interacts with our brand. We throw the spotlight on some amazing women, in celebration of International Women’s Day 2022 -

Irene Aguh

Irene Aguh

Meet our Head of Marketing at Fuzu, Irene, a powerhouse and a creative genius. She spearheads all marketing activities for Fuzu and promotes top of mind awareness amongst our audience. 

What’s life outside work?

I’m a travel/food blogger. I help young Africans experience the world through travel and food via my page @brandrevie on Instagram.

What does "breaking the bias" mean to you?

It means cutting through the noise to prove the world and its false assumptions wrong.

In your experience, what are some major barriers women face in your field of work?

One thing I've heard a lot is that women have ticking clocks. And they say it will only get worse as more and more women of the same age drop out to focus on things other than work, such as family.

That's great for them, but it means that at some point in their lives or careers, women will find themselves alone or with a weakened network of female professionals.

How can women break this barrier?

On one end, we need to be more purposeful about building our professional network and helping each other rise as much as we can. 

On the other hand, stakeholders need to help women feel more comfortable "getting back in the game" or going for senior positions at whatever age/life stage they're in.

Patricia Duru 

Patricia Duru

Meet Fuzu’s Nigeria Country Director, Patricia. 

I enjoy playing and watching lawn tennis, am a huge football fan and an Arsenal supporter, and enjoy traveling to new places, learning about other cultures, reading books, making new friends, and watching movies.

Breaking the bias for me as a woman means breaking the conscious and unconscious biases against women in the workplace. Women have to work twice as hard to merit the same roles as their male colleagues. Also, there is a bias against women's re-readiness for leadership. Typically, men are given leadership opportunities as developmental opportunities while women are not considered ‘ready’ for such roles.

I have also seen women have or create some of these biases themselves. A man who is not fully qualified has no issues exaggerating on their qualities while a woman downplays her qualifications and second-guesses herself a lot.

Breaking the bias is creating more opportunities for women not just in companies but in leadership positions and ensuring they receive an equitable reward for their contributions. This goes beyond tokenism or quota arrangements to developing women and enabling them to realize their potential and position them to compete with their male colleagues.

In your experience, what are some major barriers women face in your field of work?

Misconceptions about middle-aged women: If they are single, some interpret this as an invitation to treat, while others believe their advancement was not earned. If married, juggling family responsibilities, which can make women appear unproductive, unqualified for higher responsibilities, or distracted. As a result, many women leave the workforce, and we have a lack of women/female representation at middle and senior management levels.

Deliberate development of young girls/women, continuous mentoring, and other gender-based initiatives to address these issues, so that women can consistently push to be the best version of themselves in the workplace.

Amaka Amaku 

Amaka Amaku 

Meet our Community Manager at Fuzu, Amaka. Fuzu is building a strong online community of jobseekers, professionals, and managers thanks to her unique skills.

Outside of work, I own a hair extensions company, I enjoy creating content from everyday life, and travelling across Africa.

Breaking the bias means being a nonconformist, unapologetic woman in society; I don't let anyone or anything tell me who I should be.

There are hardly enough women in tech!

At my last workplace, I couldn't count up to 5 women among a sea of guys, which made workflow difficult because the few women banded together and made it appear as if there was a team division, but we were just sticking to each other because we were so few!

Folawe Mustapha 

Folawe Mustapha 

Meet our agile Business Development Manager at Fuzu, Folawe. As the Business Development Manager at Fuzu, she handles all efforts to deploy new growth levers for the company.

I also work as a perfumer. I enjoy working out and cooking as a hobby. Reading self-help books, prioritizing healthy eating and exercise habits, and spending quality time with loved ones are all things that I am very passionate about.

To me, breaking the bias means living in a world that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive. A world in which diversity is valued and celebrated.

Infrastructure, i.e. a lack of process, is one of the barriers I face in my field. What should be done, in my opinion, is to have the right set of professionals deliver on their jobs while also giving them room to grow.

Aisha Owolabi 

Aisha Owolabi 

Meet Content Marketing Manager at Wizeline, Aisha. Through creative content, she inspires and bridges the gap between her brand and the target audience.

Outside of work, I enjoy travelling, dining out, and watching Korean dramas.

Breaking the bias entails identifying and calling out stereotypes about women, as well as advocating for equality at all times and in all decisions.

What barriers do you face in your field of work?

As a woman of color in global tech, I believe one common barrier is simply not seeing enough people who look like you in important spaces.

Morenike Olusanya 

Morenike Olusanya 

Meet Morenike, a visual artist and illustrator, passionate about visual expression, tech, and art.

I have a clothing business and I mentor people in my field. I like watching movies, travelling and dancing.

Breaking the bias entails putting women in places where they are normally excluded and giving women equal opportunities in all fields. It entails providing women with equal access to money and opportunities as men.

Personally, I haven't encountered many obstacles because I primarily create art for women. I often hear sexist remarks such as "na woman dey draw like this?" as if gender has anything to do with talent. I believe that if I created more for men, I would face some challenges.

Chidera Muoka

Chidera Muoka

Meet Chidera, Lead Storyteller at House of ZETA. She tells stories that inspire, create conversations and paint pictures you would normally never imagine. 

Mostly curating and creating new experiences with my friends. I like reading as well.

Breaking the bias entails changing the status quo to be more inclusive, empathetic, and rational in the various sectors where women exist. So, all industries.

At the moment, it’s carving a niche in an industry that has been misrepresented. 

By creating more stories that represent the diversity of women that exist.

Women all over the world are consistently pushing the narratives, changing the status quo, and breaking the bias. At the end of the day, we can confidently say that “Nobody be like woman”. Happy international women’s day!

Written by

Eseosa Osayimwen

Excited about creating content that drives revenue, build trust and tells stories.

Give a like!

0 Comments

Sign in to read comments and engage with the Fuzu community.

Login or Create a Free Account