Join Africa's fastest growing career community!

Featured

Tales from Kenyatta University's Career Week 2018

Students need to be able to tap into their creativity, have leadership qualities and continuously be innovative to lead successful career lives both as entrepreneurs and employees.

Article Preview Image

Students need to be able to tap into their creativity, have leadership qualities and continuously be innovative to lead successful career lives both as entrepreneurs and employees.

Only a sizeable fraction of Kenyan students who graduate annually are ready for employment. In addition to this, part of these students happen to be in a career they are not suited for. This decline in the quality of education has been contributed to by the mere urge of acquiring academic papers.

Kenyatta University has been at the forefront of tackling this challenge facing Kenya’s higher education institutions through its annual Career Week. Fuzu- thought and industry leader in everything career and talent was part of this year’s Career Week themed “Sensitizing the youth on career choice and labor market demand.” This being an opportunity for attendees to learn about career opportunities and the job market demands, Fuzu was in the right place to screen the Nordic Business Forum to advocate for lean thinking and innovation.

Minutes into the Eric Ries’ interview on his Lean Startup movement, one could tell how eye-opening it was for the students and other guests. It was clear that students need to be able to tap into their creativity, have leadership qualities and continuously be innovative to lead successful career lives both as entrepreneurs and employees. The event culminated with an interactive Q & A session with the audience moderated by Nelly Mutula, Head of Talent Acquisition, Fuzu. 

Robert Kahiga, Assistant Career Advisor and Counselor, Kenyatta University shared his sentiments with the audience on why he thinks graduates fail to smoothly transition into working professionals. Among them were lack of job search skills and poor presentations to prospective employers. He was also categorical about students moving away from traditional job search methods to using newfangled platforms, in particular, Fuzu which is far much convenient.

As a student who is ready to enter the job market, I have learned that I should have a professional approach. I should apply for jobs that are in line with my career and purpose and not just any job – Wanjere Ebinet, Student, Kenyatta University.

Leaders should learn to appreciate and reward innovation to motivate their teams – Amos Osike, Student, Kenyatta University. 

Written by

Kelvin Mokaya

Give a like!

4 Comments

Sign in to read comments and engage with the Fuzu community.

Login or Create a Free Account