Join Africa's fastest growing career community!

Featured

5 Job Search Mistakes You Should Leave Behind in 2022

You cannot afford to make these job search mistakes this coming year if you want to land your dream role. Guess it’s time to unlearn and learn new things.

Article Preview Image

You cannot afford to make these job search mistakes this coming year if you want to land your dream role. Guess it’s time to unlearn and learn new things.

Source

As the year closes in, you are probably wondering why some set goals were not ticked off. You had strategized to have joined company Y but you did not make it. With tons of applications sent out and yet no positive feedback, you might want to call it quits in 2023. But hold that thought for a moment, sometimes our job search is sabotaged by our personal mistakes, yet if correct, you will be on your way to getting that dream job:

Here are 5 job search mistakes I believe you do not need to carry to the new year

1. Undefined job interests

It is the end of the year and it seems you have no nowhere you are going or what you are doing, but you still send out tons of applications without a clear career goal. 

So, what next? Identify what you want to do and the field you see yourself growing. Can you see yourself doing that job in the future? When you get these answers, do not opt for something different. Our careers influence our lives; do not waste the choice of choosing the right career path for you. Applying for any available job just because it’s open,  must stay in 2022. 

2. Not growing and developing your qualifications

Getting comfortable with little knowledge is disastrous to your career. Employers are looking for multi-skilled employees, those who are adapting to new changes because the world is moving forward. When you get comfortable with where you are now, you will stop learning, when you stop learning, you limit the number of available opportunities at your disposal. As you set out to get a new job next year, invest in your education and skills, and ticking off those job requirements gets easier as you search for a new job. 

3. Limited job search platforms

If you are still waiting for the Monday newspapers to apply for jobs, wake up. There are millions of jobs posted each day on online platforms all over the world. With reservations about scams and fraudulent adverts, you should widen your job search criteria. Take time to go through the internet, ask for help from your friends or mentors and also use your network. You should not be ashamed of job searching, let those in your circle know that you are looking for work, when you keep this to yourself, you limit your opportunities. 

“I recently employed a new assistant, I remember we had talked like two months back and she hinted that she was looking for work. At that time we had no open vacancies, but when I got one, I immediately reached out to her.” Debbie, HR Manager

4. Taking interviews for granted

It has been a whole year of doing interviews, you stopped preparing and there is not much excitement. After all, you have been there before. However, no matter the amount of experience you have and no matter how qualified you are, everyone needs to prepare for a job interview. Being unprepared for interviews is one job search mistake you need to stop making. Take each interview like you have not been there before. Prepare, do your research, and dress the part even if it is for an internal position. 

5. Having an Outdated CV/ resume

When was the last time you revised your resume or read through it? You need to go back to the basics of searching for a job, it all begins with a good CV. Whether by reference or headhunt, your CV is always a requirement. Does your current CV do your experience and skills justice? Perhaps you finished that Master's degree but your resume shows it as ongoing and yet the job requires a candidate who has completed their Master's degree. 

Also, note that resume styles keep changing with time, take time and find out what is working and for which setting. Do you need to invest in a professional to help you out? One-size fits all resumes no longer work in today’s career field. Before you jump into 2023, update your resume for the new year. 

Bonus: 

Failure to concentrate on your current job

There is no better way to prepare for your next job than to take your current job seriously. Appreciating the job at hand will prepare you for the job you are hoping for. Are you getting to work on time? This will help you keep time during interviews. Are you invested in learning more at your job? This will impress potential recruiters. Are you innovative? Through your achievements in your current job, you can always show off how innovative you are. Hating your current job only makes your job search worse. Charity begins at home. 

Now that you know your job search mistakes, take time to reflect on them, but not for too long. Refocus and re-energize for the new you next year. You cannot get what you want if you do not know what you want. 

Written by

Mercy Mukisa

Hey there, I'm Mercy Mukisa, a Senior HR Officer writing to you from the lively heart of Uganda. Writing is my way of contributing to the professional community, grounded in the belief that knowledge is the key to empowerment. In the dynamic field of HR, I'm not just a participant; I see it as a privilege to share the insights and experiences gathered along the way. It's not just about the job; it's a commitment to enhancing your professional journey. So, let's navigate through the pages of my articles together, aiming for a balanced and insightful exploration of empowerment and growth.

Give a like!

26 Comments

Sign in to read comments and engage with the Fuzu community.

Login or Create a Free Account