Join Africa's fastest growing career community!

Featured

How I Got a Job 2 Months After Graduating (and What You Should Do)

"My biggest challenge was not knowing where to start. However, Fuzu mentored me through my transition from a fresh graduate into becoming a competitive job candidate," Carren.

Article Preview Image

"My biggest challenge was not knowing where to start. However, Fuzu mentored me through my transition from a fresh graduate into becoming a competitive job candidate," Carren.

Graduates find themselves in turmoil and in the unprecedented vicious cycle of tarmacking. Tarmacking is a coined phrase used to refer to the process of job seeking, it is usually a scary experience especially for would-be graduates, who sometimes do not know where to begin. A graduate, therefore, has the uphill task of proving to potential employers that they can add value to their team.

Carren’s testimony is a story of triumph. She shared with us her challenges and secret to getting a job just two months after graduating. Read on. 

“My name is Carren, a recent graduate, and I work at Betika. I graduated two months ago, and my biggest challenge was not knowing where to start. However, Fuzu mentored me through my transition from a fresh graduate into becoming a competitive job candidate.”

While you might be aware of who you are and your intellectual abilities, personality tests enable you to understand where your talents could be best served by helping you discover your traits and preferences. You’ll be able to know which kind of job suits you best. Finding your dream job begins with understanding your personality as Carren narrates. 

“I took a personality test on Fuzu, and it helped to put things into perspective. Other than that, I also got tips on how to write a cover letter and CV which I didn’t know how to do. I could now get job recommendations suited for my personality and job openings, which are relevant to my career path.” Just like in most aspects of life, the journey is even better than the destination in career assessments. The process of answering personality test questions gives you an opportunity for some introspection where you can discover your strengths.

“What I love the most about Fuzu is that the jobs are genuine and I always have my CV ready on my profile. I’ve also been improving my professional profile by taking courses on the platform that are relevant to my career path.” 

Skill gaps are appearing quicker than ever before and organizations have to adapt fast due to the high rate at which innovation is happening. Continuous self-learning is one way to help you stay ahead of the curve and fill such gaps. You have to be endlessly curious about how your industry is evolving, learn new ways of doing things and practise.

Key takeaways from Carren’s story

• Assess yourself by taking a personality test. This enables you to not only understand yourself but also gauge what kind of job would suit you.

• Improve your skill set constantly to grow professionally. This equips you with in-demand skills.

• Learn how to tailor your cover letter and CV effectively to speak value to potential employers. Your CV should not only match your personality but also the job you are applying for.

• Apply for jobs suited to your personality. 

What are some of the takeaways for you? Share with us in the comments below.

Written by

Phil Ibsen

Phill Ibsen is a creative writer, scriptwriter and a storyteller who believes in telling the story as it is and not as it should be. He is the founder of Master of Descriptions, a production company which aims in showcasing authentic stories. He’s also an affiliate writer at the Writers Guild.

Give a like!

12 Comments

Sign in to read comments and engage with the Fuzu community.

Login or Create a Free Account