Join Africa's fastest growing career community!

Featured

International Women’s Day 2023: Are You Doing All You Can to #EmbraceEquity?

We toast to International Women’s Day 2023 with a reminder to #EmbraceEquity and use innovation to open up new opportunities for women. Read on to learn more about this year's IWD and some of the women we’re shouting out this year!

Article Preview Image

We toast to International Women’s Day 2023 with a reminder to #EmbraceEquity and use innovation to open up new opportunities for women. Read on to learn more about this year's IWD and some of the women we’re shouting out this year!

International Women’s Day is upon us and we can’t wait to celebrate the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women around the world. It's a day to recognize the progress made towards gender equality and to acknowledge the work that still needs to be done. In this year’s IWD, we are called upon to make a commitment to #EmbraceEquity and work towards creating a world where women have equal opportunities and are valued for their contributions.

#EmbraceEquity is about recognizing that gender equality is not just a women's issue, but an issue that affects everyone. When we embrace equity, we acknowledge that everyone has a role to play in creating a world where women are treated with respect and given the same opportunities as men. It's about creating a culture where women are valued for their talents and abilities, and not judged based on their gender.

Why should we #EmbraceEquity?

There are many reasons to #EmbraceEquity. For one, it's the right thing to do. Women have been fighting for their rights for centuries, and we owe it to them to continue the fight. We also know that when women have equal opportunities, everyone benefits. When women are given equal access to education, healthcare, and employment opportunities, it leads to increased economic growth, better health outcomes, and more stable societies.

On International Women's Day 2023, we should celebrate the progress that has been made towards gender equality such as more women being in leadership positions, going to school, and breaking down barriers in male-dominated fields. But we should also acknowledge that there is still a long way to go. Women are still underrepresented in many fields; they still earn less than men for the same work and face discrimination and violence.

To truly #EmbraceEquity, we need to commit to creating a world where women have equal opportunities and are valued for their contributions. This means advocating for policies that promote gender equality, such as equal pay for equal work, paid parental leave, and access to affordable childcare. It means supporting women-owned businesses and investing in programs that help women succeed in male-dominated fields. It means speaking out against gender-based violence and creating safe spaces for women to speak up.

Read also: 5 Ways Employers are Still Failing Women in the Workplace

International Women's Day 2023 is a reminder that we all have a role to play in creating a world where women are treated with respect and given equal opportunities. Let's all take a moment to #EmbraceEquity and commit to creating a world where everyone has the opportunity to thrive, regardless of their gender.

As we honor the achievements of women and to commit to working towards a more equitable future, take a look at some shout-outs these phenomenal ladies got from our community :)

“I’d like to shout out Loice Bandera Osundwa, a business lady because she's very supportive and caring” - Silas Indeche Osundwa, Kenya

“I’d like to shout out Hanna Chemisto, a Senior Teacher Katbel Primary School, because she teaches well and has a calling for teaching.” - Dorothy Yegon, Kenya

“For International Women’s Day 2023, I’d like to shout out Princess Shamirah Kimbugwe. She is the CEO of Pivot Pay, an outstanding international fintech company. She tried hard to chase her dream despite doing law yet she was interested in technology. As she pitched her ideas to investors she was never  heard, but in the end, she made it, which is why she’s the woman I personally look up to.” - Nammiiro Zaharah Bidin 

“Shout out to Prossie Akoth, the Call Center Team leader at Engie Energy Access. She’s a people person and a mother. Additionally, she has empathy and a great listening ear. Prossie is truly a beauty and I pray that God keeps blessing her in everything she does.” - Moses Ojaka

“Magayane Joan is the Drainage Officer at the Kampala City Council Authority, Makindye division and I’d like to shout her out for IWD this year. I have seen her standing up for women and girls by helping them with problem-solving. She’s gotten them bursaries, motivated and guided them, especially through unemployment. Not only that, she is a strong, iron lady, hardworking, self-driven, and stands for the truth despite the challenges she faces at work.” - Mwenyango Sarah, Uganda

Written by

Sandra Musonge

Sandra Musonge is a part-time writer at Fuzu with over five years of experience under her belt, helping numerous B2B and B2C clients with their content needs. She writes to inspire and not just to inform. Her educational background in Biochemistry has given her a broad base from which to approach many topics. You can find her enjoying nature or trying out new recipes when she isn't writing.

Give a like!

1 Comments

Sign in to read comments and engage with the Fuzu community.

Login or Create a Free Account