The safety officer will be responsible for the enforcement of the health and safety programs and policies to prevent accidents, injuries, and occupational hazards in the workplace, conduct inspections, provide safety training, investigate incidents, and ensure compliance with safety regulations and standards.
Job Specifications and Requirements
Educational Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Health and safety, Environmental Science, or a related field (relevant certifications or experience may be accepted).
- Minimum of 3 years in a similar position.
- In-depth knowledge of local safety regulations, standards, and industry best practices.
- Strong understanding of hazard identification, risk assessment, and control measures.
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities to investigate incidents and implement corrective actions.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and manage time effectively.
- Proficiency in using computer software for safety reporting, data analysis, and record-keeping.
Specific functions of the position:
- Develop and implement comprehensive safety programs, policies, and procedures in accordance with local regulations and industry best practices.
- Conduct regular inspections and audits of work areas to identify potential hazards and ensure compliance with safety standards.
- Provide safety training and orientation to employees, including emergency response procedures, hazard communication, and personal protective equipment (PPE) usage.
- Investigate incidents, accidents, and near-misses to determine root causes and implement corrective actions to prevent recurrence.
- Maintain accurate records of safety inspections, incidents, training sessions, and safety-related data.
- Conduct risk assessments and assist in developing controls and preventive measures to mitigate workplace hazards.
- Stay updated on current safety regulations, standards, and industry trends to ensure compliance and recommend improvements.
- Communicate safety-related information, policies, and procedures to employees through effective channels, such as safety meetings, memos, or training sessions.
- Coordinate with external safety consultants, authorities, and auditors during inspections, audits, or regulatory visits.
- Assist in the selection and evaluation of appropriate safety equipment, tools, and personal protective gear.
- Foster a safety culture within the organization by promoting awareness, accountability, and active participation of employees in safety initiatives.