Legal Officer, P3
Salary range: Confidential | Contract type: Fixed term
You have 33 days left to apply for this job.
EducationAdvanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in environmental law or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Work ExperienceA minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in environmental law and governance, including legal analysis, research and writing, is required.
Experience in working with developing countries and in developing project proposals and/or managing projects is desirable.
Experience in technical assistance in the development and strengthening of national environmental law and strengthening capacity to implement, comply with and enforce environmental laws and MEAs is desirable.
Experience in the evaluation of national environmental legislation against pre-determined standards, such as obligations under multilateral environmental agreements or recommendations from global reviews is desirable.
LanguagesEnglish and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in written and oral English is required. Working knowledge of another UN languages is desirable.
Responsibilities• Conducts extensive legal research and analysis and prepares studies, comparative studies, briefs, reports and correspondence on environmental law and governance including those related to legislative reform in the fields of environmental law and sustainable development as well as institutions support.Required education
• Reviews national legislation (e.g., law and regulations) as part of technical assistance to strengthen national legal and institutional capacities concerning a specific area of environmental law to identify potential gaps and provide recommendations.
• Undertakes basic or extensive review of legal documents, instruments, or other material; identifies important issues, similarities, and inconsistencies, etc.
• Prepares or assists in the preparation of drafts of background papers, studies, reports, legislative texts and commentaries on those texts, and teaching materials in the field of environmental law and sustainable development, in particular, as these relate to national environmental law and related institutions.
• Prepares or assists in the preparation of legal opinions/advice on a wide range of issues relating to environmental law and sustainable development, including, in particular, those that relate to supporting the development, strengthening, implementation and enforcement of national environmental law and related institutions.
• Prepares or assists in the preparation of agreements and contracts with governments, NGOs and other public and private entities.
• Services or assists senior colleagues in servicing diplomatic conferences, commissions, committees, task forces, expert groups and other bodies, including preparation of background materials, summaries of issues and views of delegations, meeting reports, etc. to raise awareness and build capacity on emerging issues of environmental law or on issues designated as important by countries.
• Administers programmes of legal technical assistance to countries in reviewing, developing or updating environmental legislation, drawing on recommendations from global legal reviews and utilizing legislative tools and knowledge products, developed by UNEP and its partners.
• Prepares or assists with the preparation of seminars and symposia on legal principles, techniques, policies, guidelines, etc. in the field of environmental law and sustainable development, in particular, as these relate to national environmental law and related institutions, lectures on various legal issues at such events.
• Provides guidance to more junior staff.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
: Post-graduate educationRequired relevant work experience
: 5 yearsRequired languages:
English (Spoken: fluent | Written: fluent)