- To support in the implementation and monitoring of sanitation and hygiene activities in the area program especially in community mobilization. This role will contribute to increasing Water & sanitation coverage and hygiene promotion, and proper infrastructure development in efforts towards achieving SDG 3; Good health and well-being and SDG 6: to ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- Provide technical leadership and guide the implementation of Water Supply Systems, Sanitation, Hygiene and all other Construction infrastructures and multiple use of water initiatives contributing to child wellbeing outcomes.
Knowledge/Qualification for the role
Required Professional Experience
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in Engineering project design, proposal writing, needs assessments, surveys, and information management
- Proven experience in working/programming in either relief or development including managing a large-scale Community based water project with evidence of successful implementation of similar projects
- Ability to conduct community WASH needs assessment, program planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of WASH activities
- Good understanding of water supply – improved operational efficiency, smart metering, O&M and water supply sustainable models for rural water management.
- Expertise in Disaster Risk Management and water safety plans for WASH projects. This includes Water Quality Testing, Monitoring and reporting.
- Good understanding and experience in Sanitation and Hygiene Programming and models.
- Experience in water resource management - environmental protection and conservation as an added advantage
- Expertise in collaboration and partnership agreement with development partners, county governments and community in WASH related interventions.
- Required Education, training, license, registration, and certification
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering/Water Engineering.
- Registration with EBK/KETREB as graduate Engineer as minimum.
Preferred Knowledge, skills and Qualifications
- Good experience in construction project design and management – FIDIC understanding as an added advantage.
- Excellent English communication skills (both oral and written).
- Knowledge and application of auto/arch CAD and GIS
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office and Microsoft Outlook
- A team player, capable of building staff and community capacity in Water, Sanitation and hygiene projects through training.
- Ability to take initiative, a team leader able to work with minimum supervision
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and emotional maturity
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts
Project, Planning and Implementation (45%)
- Technical support
- Capacity Building of CBOs and Water Users Committees to be able to effectively manage WASH facilities in scenario where there is no regulated water service provider to take over.
- Capacity building of WASH staff (WASH officers, Sanitation and hygiene officers) and communities in programming and implementation of WASH and construction projects.
- Support preparation and conducting training for water Users Associations to empower them to run their own water supply systems in line with the approved rural water management models for improved governance and sustainability.
- Support preparation and conducting hygiene and sanitation promotion training sessions.
- Facilitate timely and quality implementation of Water, sanitation and Hygiene projects, other construction infrastructures and multiple use of water initiatives.
- Give guidance in environmental protection and conservation (water shed management and reforestation).
- Take lead in development and implementation of water safety plans and disaster risk management plans for the water supply projects.
- Ensure that WASH business processes, standards and guidelines related to WASH and Construction initiatives are effectively applied in project implementation.
- Carry out feasibility studies, water resource mapping, EIA support, Technical Design of WASH and Construction projects as need arises
- Support development of technically sound funding proposals through provision of information & data and review in collaboration with ADP Managers, other sector specialists. Preparation of the tender documents (Technical Specifications, Drawings, Bills of quantities and Terms of Reference).
- Facilitates Topographical Surveys and GIS activities
- Facilitate communities to identify viable WASH, Health and construction projects and negotiate for way leaves and easement and ensure their participation in the implementation of the same.
Monitoring, Reporting and Documentation 35%
- Quality Assurance-Monitoring, reporting and Documentation
- Supervise and Monitor Water and Construction interventions in strict adherence to WV Kenya, Kenya government regulations, WHO and the SPHERE standards.
- Supervise and Monitor Sanitation and Hygiene interventions in strict adherence to WV Kenya, Kenya government regulations, WHO and the SPHERE standards.
- Development of Project Designs and Annual Operation Plans. (4D matrices, DIPs, Annual Budgets).
- Develop quality monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, annual and end of projects reports in accordance with donors and WV Kenya requirements.
- Document and disseminate success stories and best practices on Water, sanitation and Hygiene projects in the ADP.
- Ensure budgetary utilization is within acceptable limits/range.
- Facilitate regular WASH & Construction review meetings for the WASH team as well as participate in the ADP review meetings
- Ensures participatory monthly data collection are conducted (involving communities and partners) using the standardized tools
- Contextualization and utilization of reporting guidelines
Advocacy, Engagement, Networking and Partnerships 15%
- Advocacy, Engagement with strategic partners, Linkages and networks & partnership development
- Representation of WV Kenya in key WASH and Construction stakeholder forums/meetings at the Ward, Sub-County levels.
- Facilitate community education on Laws, Policies and Standards on WASH & Construction Service delivery
- Provide support to community led processes of monitoring public service delivery.
- Ensure communities are mobilized and participate in their WASH and projects
- Partner and collaborate with county government and other development partners to ensure implementation of service models and leverage on construction of WASH projects.
- Provide support to community led processes of monitoring public service delivery and support establishment and functional CVA groups