The Data Officer is responsible for the production of IMPACT’s analysis products on Ethiopia, including the preparation of research design, support in designing sampling methods, data analysis plans, data collection tools, data cleaning scripts and processes, analysis scripts, analysis outputs and (as relevant) production of web maps and information management systems. The Data Officer, in close liaison with the assessment teams, engages with partners to promote their participation in data processing, analysis or relevant topics, to maximize the uptake and use of IMPACT/REACH research. When relevant, or managing a project, they also ensure an efficient and transparent use of resources required for project implementation.
- Years of work experience At least 2 years of relevant working experience in a similar role in data science, preferably in the humanitarian field;
- Research skills Proficiency and proven experience with research methods, including both quantitative and qualitative research. Excellent analytical skills, experience conducting multi-sectoral analysis highly desirable;
- Statistical skills Strong statistical and analytical skills including correlation and regression analysis;
- Software skills Advanced knowledge of R, STATA, Python or equivalent statistical software (with a willingness to develop advanced R skills). Knowledge of ArcGIS or Power Bi an advantage;
- Level of independence Proven ability to work independently;
- Communication/reporting skills Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting;
- Organizational and coordination skills Strong presentation, and organisational skills;
- Multi-tasking skills Ability to multitask with tight deadlines;
- Cross-cultural work environment Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Academic qualifications Excellent academic qualifications, preferably including a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline (Computer or Data Science, Statistics, Social Science, Economics, or related);
- Security environment Ability to operate in a complex and challenging security environment.
- Experience in geographical region Past experience in the region is desirable;
- Language skills Fluency in English required.
RESEARCH CYCLE MANAGEMENT
- Contribute towards the identification and implementation of effective and adapted data management and analysis solutions for IMPACT research in Ethiopia, in line with IMPACT’s relevant research and data guidelines.
- Research planning and design through leading on sampling design and in coordination with relevant assessment and GIS staff construct quantitative sample;
- Providing training on data cleaning and management techniques;
- Overseeing data analysis set-up (specifically conducted in the R environment).
- Data management, cleaning and analysis including monitoring of the accuracy of data collected, cross- checking data collected in the field;
- Maintaining R-based systems of data management and analysis, serving as the focal point for statistical analysis and quantitative reporting;
- Developing cleaning and analysis (descriptive, hypothesis testing, correlation, and regression analyses) scripts in R;
- Contributing to the automatization of data analysis processes.
TEAM MANAGEMENT AND CAPACITY BUILDING
If the Data Officer provides direct line management to staff:
- Conduct regular meetings with staff members to assess progress in relevant research cycles and to review work plans;
- In coordination with CC, RM and Data/GIS Manager, conduct induction for new staff members, including training in basic technical data processing and analysis competencies.
- Support to the IMPACT CC, RM and Data/GIS Manager, in the development and implementation of capacity training plans for data and other team members. They are responsible for setting clear and personalised development goals, and designing training and mentorship plans to assist team members in professional development.
- Be available to provide regular support and technical backstopping to all teams and units within country office.
- Developing information products and dashboards with the collected data;
- Providing information management support to other team members, or humanitarian stakeholders;
- Other tasks falling within their functions as requested by supervisors.
- Upon the request of the line manager, support in consulting with partners at all stages of research cycle: assessment preparation; data collection; data analysis; review of research products; product dissemination; and lessons learnt.
- Ensure that all partner engagement and all external relations are clearly documented and communicated with the line manager and relevant colleagues;
- Actively participate in regular team meetings;
- Ensure regular coordination and exchange with relevant colleagues;
- Ensure regular communication with HQ Research Design and Data unit.
- Engage in the development and implementation of IMPACT’s strategy in Ethiopia.