Under the direct supervision of the Field coordinator and technical guidance from the Snr. Health Coordinator, the Heath Manager shall be responsible for the overall designing and implementation of the Health Program that encompasses CHP and Clinical Services sectors. S/he will also be responsible for implement evidence based primary health care service delivery. He/she shall be expected to monitor and ensure improvement and maintenance of the health indicators as per SPHERE/UNHCR/WHO standards at the Camp.
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery from a recognized institution or an equivalent with preferably master’s in public health.
- Must be registered with Kenya Medical and Dentist Board and allowed to practice in Kenya.
- Excellent organizational and program management experience, including with staff and implementation work plans, budget management and monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and facilitation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, coordination and networking skills.
- Experience with situation analysis and health assessments.
- Experience in capacity building and mentoring staff.
- Experience in pharmacy inventory management.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and demonstrated ability to handle pressure and improve.
- Ability to live in a high security environment.
- Excellent computer skills: MS Word, Excel, Power-point, Outlook, and the internet.
- Proficiency in English language and Somali is an added advantage.
Required Experience & Competencies:
- Three years’ experience in tropical medicine or public health in developing countries.
- Training and at least three years’ experience in health program design and management.
- Experience in working with multicultural/ multinational individual including displaced communities with diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Proficiency in computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications i.e. Outlook, Ms EXCEL and Ms WORD.
- Experience contributing to the design, management and reporting of international development programmes or projects including Previous financial and/or grant management experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated capacity to manage a variety of activities simultaneously and take initiative.
- Prioritization, planning, and project coordination skills.
- Analysis, problem-solving, sound judgment.
- Drive, pro-activeness, action, and results orientation; continuous improvement.
- Interpersonal and teamwork skills; including oral communication, writing and presentational skills.
- Ability to work successfully in an international, multi-cultural, multi-partner environment, and establish harmonious working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
- Identify health program opportunities by assisting the health staff to carry out assessments; draft health sector proposals, budgets and plans of action.
- Provide overall coordination of all the departments under the health program i.e., pharmacy, laboratory, Inpatient, and outpatient etc.
- In coordination with the Field Coordinator, formulate curative program goals, objectives, and intervention strategies.
- Review health programs through periodic field & facility visits. Ensure that program implementation strategies are compatible with overall program goals and objectives.
- Coordinate all referrals of refugee patients as per UNHCR referral guidelines.
- Coordinate and manage the health promotion, immunization, diseases surveillance activities at camp level.
- Participate in the Outbreak Control Coordination Team (OCT) and carry out community-based public health interventions during communicable disease outbreaks.
- In liaison with the Field Coordinator develop and implement strong integrated community health strategies using appropriate tools to maximize project impact on the beneficiaries
- Set high quality performance indicators ensuring adherence to technical standards, best practices, and donor guidelines.
- Lead and organize camp-wide health campaigns including vitamin A supplementation campaigns, National Immunization Days (NIDs) and other similar campaigns.
- Seek out and nurture quality partnerships with community structures Ministries of health and strategic partners, including international NGOs.
- Foster inter-program linkage, exchange information and experiences and contribute actively to protection and disaster risk reduction mainstreaming in the health program.
Human Resource Management:
- Monitoring and supervising the health staff both national and refugee to ensure that work is done properly and efficiently.
- Routinely monitor staff performance according to their job description and provide written feedback in a timely manner.
- Develop ongoing education programs for health staff.
- In coordination with the Field Coordinator, periodically monitor, evaluate, and make appropriate recommendations regarding health, and living conditions of IRC field staff and assist with ensuring that proper health measures are in place according to IRC health requirements.
- Review personnel issues and concerns of health staff and assist with determining and implementing solutions.
- Determine personnel needs for field-level activities and in coordination with the Human Resources Lead assist in recruitment of staff.
- Orientate new field staff members on personnel health and safety issues, and diseases unique to the area of operation.
- In coordination with the Field Coordinator and HR Lead, authorize medical evacuation of staff.
- Recommend promotions, disciplinary action, and termination of health staff to the Field Coordinator and HR Lead.
- Directly supervise the Medical Officer In charge, Clinical Officer In charge, Nursing Officer In charge, Pharmacist, Laboratory in charge, Senior RH/CHP/HIV Officer, CHP Officers among others.
- Contingent upon provision of routine financial reports to the field, ensure adherence to budgets by reviewing expenditures and spending patterns.
- Recommend grant and budget revisions to the Field Coordinator and the Health Technical Team.
- Provide recommendations and interventions to correct any identified deviations that impact budget adherence.
- Monitor closely the morbidity and mortality trends together with all the other health indicators to ensure that prompt actions are taken.
- Attend meetings concerning overall health program issues.
- Supervise regular review and revision of training manuals to maintain consistency with the acceptable protocols.
- Maintain updated libraries of manuals and other resources at all field sites.
- Keep the Field Coordinator informed of all developments and issues through weekly situation reports.
Representation & Coordination
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with external stakeholders - including UNHCR and other implementing agencies, Local Organizations, community-based organizations\leaders and other IRC sectors to enhance cooperation and coordination.
- Ensure presence in coordination meetings in absence of Health Coordinator and ensure relevant coordination-related data is shared with the health sectors.
- Participate in interagency health working groups or committees as required.