The Accountant is a key member of the Project´s team. S/he will play a pivotal role in assuring adherence to financial policies, project policies and procedures, regulations, controls, and reporting systems. The Accountant will provide accounting and financial analysis support to the project office and will ensure submission of financial reports based on internal deadlines. The Accountant will provide support on the preparation and monitoring of the project's budget. The Accountant will also provide analysis and recommendations to optimize spending and resource allocation to meet project objectives. This position will ensure compliance of all accounting and financial reporting functions. Responsible for recording costs and day-to -day general accounting, accounts receivable/payable, payroll, risk management, managing partner relationships, assuring all backup documentation is audit-ready, and troubleshooting accounting issues. The individual is also responsible for cash flow analyses, and the overall financial well-being of the project. This position will work collaboratively with local and home office staff but will report to the designated Finance Manager. The Accountant may perform any other related duties as assigned.
- B.A. Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or equivalent. An advanced degree or its equivalent is preferred.
- 7+ years of relevant experience and progressive responsibility in finance and accounting, office administration, and project operations at the mid-level of an organization.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience managing USAID funded projects.
- Experience in financial management of USAID projects, including a demonstrated understanding of applicable finance-related USG contracting regulations.
- Accuracy in working with large amounts of data.
- Experience with enterprise accounting software, and Microsoft office suite.
- Demonstrated knowledge of internal controls and audit processes (e.g. procurement, local subcontract agreements, etc.)
- Prior work experience in Uganda.
- Prepares vendor and remittance tax forms and ensure these are submitted in a timely manner.
- Prepares and submits monthly reconciliation reports for review.
- Monitors and submits advance, commitment, and subawards reports as applicable.
- Oversees the reporting of expenses by field offices.
- Monitors and reports on partner/vendor payment schedules and obligations.
- Assists in preparing information for any contractual financial reporting requirements (if applicable).
- Participates in the preparation and monitoring of the project's budget.
- Provides analysis and recommendations to optimize spending and resource allocation.
- Supports preparation of internal and external audits.
- Supports responses and actions to internal audit comments.
- Conducts daily reviews of backup documentation to ensure completeness, accuracy, and full compliance with DAI’s regulations.
- Performs regular spot audits on project files.
- Ensures backup documentation is uploaded to relevant system according to set deadlines.
- Compliance/Policies & Procedures
- Ensures that accounting policies and practices are carried out in accordance with GAAP and local law standards. Establishes and implements project internal controls in accordance with DAI policies, USAID rules/regulations, the Uganda country regulations, and the terms of the Contractual Agreement.
General Accounting/Financial Management
- Initiates wire requests for field project implementation.
- Verifies vendor invoices for accuracy.
- Verifies accuracy of expenses, and project accounting codes.
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of invoices, advances and reimbursements, checks, and wire transfer payments.
- Ensures request for payments has appropriate approvals.
- Ensures the timely deposit of cash receipts.
- Responsible for recording and assigning costs based on approved budget in the project’s field accounting system.
- Performs monthly bank reconciliations and routinely monitors bank account balances.
- Compiles backup documentation for all project related transactions and ensures completeness and appropriate review and approvals are documented.
- If applicable, ensures petty cash is maintained according to maximum petty cash policy, and that all petty cash procedures are followed.
- Ensures the safeguard of bank checks, cash receipts, and petty cash.
- Supports management of banking relationships.
- Prepares, reviews, and submits project cost data prior to sending to DAI Washington.
- Responsible for maintaining file management systems for soft and hard copy documentation.
- Maintains files on subawards/procurement/subcontractor documents and modifications as applicable.
- Supports periodic cash counts.
- Ensures non-billable expenses are thoroughly reviewed and kept to a minimum.
- Ensures that foreign taxes paid, if any, are tracked, recorded, and reported to USAID in accordance with ADS guidelines.
- Prepare the USAID´s VAT report if applicable.
- Analyzes and reconciles project inventory on a regular basis ensuring that the value/purchase price of projects assets reflected in the inventory register agrees with the total shown in the cumulative non-expendable account balance.
Travel Advances & Reimbursements
- Audits travel requests and expense reports for accuracy and compliance.
- Follows procedures to ensure accurate and timely payment and reconciliation of travel advances, reimbursements for staff and partner travel.
- Reviews and monitors outstanding advances report by paying close attention to advances that have not been settled after 30 days of issuance.
- Processes timely and accurate payroll payments for the office and ensures leave balances, and payroll taxes are accurate.
- Tracks and monitors leave balances and liability payments.
- Reviews employment agreement and modifications and updates salary calculations based on local and company requirements.
- Ensures staff compliance with timekeeping policy and procedures.
- Uses the field accounting system, cloud software for backup documentation, and DAI’s operations system, etc. regularly.
- Communicates with home office system support teams on troubleshooting technical issues.
- Scans and uploads voucher files to DAI’s electronic filing systems.
- Understand DAI and USAID rules, regulations, processes and systems for compliant project implementation
- Understand and work through DAI systems including TAMIS, FAS and other project management systems
- Ensure safeguarding of staff and a strict zero tolerance policy towards corruption and unethical behavior
- Uphold DAI ethics and values in all aspects of the job.
- Other duties as assigned.