Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience.
- Degree in Human Resource Management, Social Sciences, Business Management, Organizational Development, Organizational Psychology or other related disciplines. Post graduate qualification in Human Resource Management, is added advantage
- At least 3 and above years generalist and broad HR experience years in a large and fast paced, environment/Organization
- Member of the Human Resource Managers of Uganda Association.
- Fluency in English and any other local, regional or international languages.
- Knowledge & applicability of Ugandan labour laws and legal requirements
- Substantial business acumen with clear, comprehensive understanding of the link between talent and other HR initiatives and organizational strategy,
- Ability to effectively envision, develop, and implement new strategies to address competitive, complex business issues.
- Ability to collect, synthesize data and develop recommendations that aid management decisions
- Required to remain objective and neutral at all times and not get emotionally involved, sometimes in stressful situations.
- Required to balance operational and strategic demands of the role.
- Customer service orientation
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Good skills in conflict resolution/problem solving, teamwork, crisis management, training facilitation and coaching. A practicing Christian Computer literacy a must.
- Leadership and interpersonal skills
- Result and execution driven
- Resilient and energetic
- The position requires ability and willingness to occasionally travel to the field
- Strategic Business Partner and HR Alignment (Strategic Management): Develops and implements Human Resource solutions to business problems
- Develop and implement regional HR work plan in line with the HR strategy and overall program objectives.
- Contribute to the business strategies by providing technical support & guidance to Managers and team leaders to identify, prioritize, and build organizational capabilities, behaviors, structures and processes.
- Develop and regularly adjust P&C strategies and initiatives to respond to specific business needs.
- Analyze trends and metrics in partnership with P&C team to develop solutions, programs and policies.
- Identify and work with partners to develop appropriate P&C solutions aligned to specific needs of the designated cluster/region/division.
- Focuses on strategic activities and evaluates P&C service and value delivered to the functional cluster/region/division
Operations Management: Measure, Monitor and Coordinate People and organization capabilities:
Recruitment and Onboarding support
- Take lead in HR Planning and forecasting in liaison with the line managers to ensure timely filling and replacement of vacant positions. .
- Provide support in developing work force plans.
- Provide end to end timely and quality recruitment support and prepare corresponding reports in a timely manner.
- Provide preliminary orientation to new staff in the assigned region.
- Initiate payroll preparation through providing the payroll updates timely.
- Ensure timely payments of terminal benefits and other benefits processed by P&C.
- Ensure that staff are aware of their contractual rights and responsibilities in delivering their work for WVU in line with the Code of Conduct, Child Protection, and other policies.
- Monitor the staff contract status to ensure timely renewals/end of contract notifications.
- Coordinate projects as determined in the annual P&C operational plan and contribute to functional and cross-functional initiatives.
- Line managers are equipped with the skills and confidence to effectively manage the performance of their teams to support the delivery of WVU strategy. Work with L&D to equip line managers with skills and confidence to effectively manage the performance of their teams to support the delivery of WVU strategy
- Ensures that the performance management system and associated documentation is effectively communicated to and well understood by all staff.
- Provide day to day performance management guidance to Staff (coaching, counseling, career development, disciplinary actions).
- Coordinate, track and follow up on new staff probation appraisal and provide both quantitative and qualitative analysis reports to the P&C Manager on a periodical basis on staff probation evaluation.
Learning and development and Succession Planning:
- Work with Line managers and L&D Manager to identify, develop and report on staff learning and development initiatives in line with the approved training work plan.
- Support line managers in identifying, developing and retaining talent and potential successors within WVU.
- Work with Learning and development manager to review and analyze succession planning related data in your respective region and share periodical updates on the same with the P&C Manager.
- Review staff performance appraisals and identify training needs capacity building.
Staff Development / Capacity Building – works with the L&D Unit to ensure the following:
- WVU staff are equipped with the skills and knowledge and demonstrate the right behaviours to deliver effective programs now and in the future.
- Together with L&D Manager, support develop a capacity development plan and implementing it effectively to address the issues of capacity needs in a strategic way.
- Monitor that spiritual nurture initiatives are cascaded to all staff to ensure that Christ is kept at the centre and staff live out their Christian faith with boldness and humility as it applies to WV ministry work.
Exit coordination and management
- Manage exit of staff to ensure the HR system is updated and information is accurate for computation of final staff payments.
- Manage the staff clearance processes and ensure timely payment of terminal benefits within policy
- Work with staff and supervisors to complete Exit Interviews/ forms in time and compile quarterly reports
- Quarterly analysis of exit interview forms and submission of report to supervisor.
Employee engagement and Employee Relations management
- Support creation of solutions to drive employee commitment and contribution.
- Maintain in depth knowledge of legal, National and partnership requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Provide HR Policy guidance and interpretation to staff and build the capacity of line management to understand and implement organizational policies and procedures.
- Participate in periodical reviews of P&C policies and strategies, employee opinion surveys and make recommendations for better running of the division.
- Communicate and facilitate adoption of organizational culture and values by employees
- Work with line management to initiate and implement projects towards improving employee engagement as a driver for organization performance.
- Together with P&C Manager, develop action plan and effectively implement to address all the issues identified by Our Voice/Employee Opinion Survey and report on the progress to improve employee wellbeing and engagement.
- Support line management to manage and resolve complex employee relations issues.
- Work closely with line management and employees to improve work relationships, increase productivity and retention.
- Attend to employee grievances as well as disciplinary issues
- Foster an employee relations environment that supports the delivery of P&C strategy and ensures communication directly with the cluster/division/ regional employeeS
P&C risks presented by the local context are effectively mitigated.
- Advise managers of potential P&C risks (assessing hazard, those potentially affected, evaluate nature and likelihood of risk, record, etc) to enable their monitoring and mitigation.
- Conduct risk analysis of P&C Operations and identify mitigation measures and implement them accordingly. Maintain accurate and up-to-date data related to staff in confidence and in line with local Data Protection requirements.
- Working with P&C Manager, ensure that WVU is 100% compliant to all relevant laws and regulations of Ugandan Government related to HR and OD.
- Implement all the audit actions within their jurisdiction related to P&C effectively and in timely manner.
- Build capability of employees and managers to respond to and manage organizational changes.
- Support line managers to review processes and systems and initiate changes to improve work effectiveness.
- Support managers implement, track and assess ongoing changes. (change portfolio management).
- Coordinate and guide management on staff transitions during program/project phase outs and ensure all applicable policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Work with L&D manager to plan and conduct retirement training to all staff on an annual basis.
- Prepare Monthly/Quarterly reports for information and update
- Provide P&C analytics to advice on trends and areas of improvement in the respective programs.
- Conduct periodic visits for P&C related support.
- Advise the P&C Manager on the opportunities for improvement of employee relations.
- Prepare monthly leave reports and share with the People & Culture Manager at the end every quarter.
- Coordinate with the designated P&C focal staff to ensure staff are enrolled on medical insurance scheme and cards processed in a timely manner.
- Schedule health talks at bi-annually.
Health and Safety
Work with the P&C focal staff to ensure that:
- Staff are enrolled on the Personal Accident insurance as well as Group Life and follow up on any claims and compensations.
- Support the creation of a safe and healthy work environment through organizing appropriate activities/ initiatives