Overall Job purpose
The PMEAL Officer will work as part of Johanniter Uganda national team reporting to the Senior Programme manager. Based in Kampala, Uganda the incumbent will lead the design of tailor-made tools and will support partners in the monitoring, evaluation and learning plans for Johanniter projects in the key sectors of Nutrition, Health, WASH and Livelihoods/food security. The PMEAL Officer will work closely with the Johanniter Senior Programme Manager, the Programme Officer and the partners’ programme/M&E staff and support MEAL plans for their specific projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Monitoring and Evaluation, Statistics, or related field from an accredited academic institution.
- 3+ years working in a PMEAL position.
- Experience in international organizations and working with national partners.
- Experience working within the humanitarian operation/refugee settings an added advantage.
- Practical experience in PMEAL support to local implementing partners.
- Practical experience in conducting data collection exercises (Qualitative and Quantitative) i.e., possess knowledge and skill in research methodology and use of digital data collection tools.
- Proficiency in Microsoft suite Excel, SPSS, STATA, KOBO, ODK, NVIVO or any other analytical software.
- Demonstrated experience and skills in project reporting, knowledge management & learning process.
- Knowledge of humanitarian standards and codes, feedback and accountability frameworks highly preferred
Strategy and Vision
- Actively supports the values of Johanniter and shapes the work accordingly
- Contributes to the implementation of the international and country strategy of Johanniter International Assistance
Accountability and Monitoring Systems Development:
- Overall responsible for the implementation of the Johanniter Monitoring and Evaluation plans in Uganda.
- Supports the MEAL components of proposal development and programme design, indicator definitions, theory of change and log frame design.
- Produces monitoring and accountability checklists monthly for all projects in Uganda
- Conducts quarterly joint field process monitoring for projects in Uganda
- Conducts periodic data audits and analyses to ensure high-quality data.
- Contributes to the rollout of Johanniter’s global strategic initiatives related to measurement & accountability, and enables reporting against Johanniter’s global standards and requirements.
- Monitors overall project implementation of Johanniters partners and provides feedback to the Senior Programme Manager on a regular basis.
Assessment, Learning and Documentation:
- Leads the project team in all aspects of MEAL, for example, surveys, baselines, evaluations, joint project monitoring and reviews / lessons learning workshops/events.
- Ensures relevant, timely, and quality project support to the partners on assessments & evaluations; i.e. supports in development and review of the survey tools, data analysis and report writing.
- Attends and participates in relevant meetings with Johanniter and Partner projects teams on project monitoring and learning i.e. updates on projects progress on achievements & challenges for actions and reactions.
- Contributes to organizational learning documentation and dissemination of key findings stemming from monitoring, assessment, and other analyses of project learning activities.
- Tracks and ensures organized, comprehensive electronic filing of documented reports, baselines, evaluations and assessments.
- Collects success stories, case studies, and project pictures from all the partner projects quarterly and files them accordingly.
- Facilitates and participates in information sharing among Johanniter staff, partners & donors.
- Participates in relevant field-level coordination meetings, forums and networking with other local NGOs, Johanniter partners, INGOs, UN agencies and donors.
- Responsible for taking relevant meeting minutes by and with Johanniter staff, partners and donors and share/file them accordingly.
- Compiles periodic reports with relevant indicator data per grant, showing targets versus actuals and action plans and share with the project’s teams/managers.
- Supports Johanniter and partner staff on data management and storage.
- Facilitates capacity building for Johanniter and partner staff on skills/knowledge related to Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning, including; designing monitoring tools, analyzing /monitoring data, conducting assessment/evaluation, and implementing feedback mechanisms.
- Undertakes regular visits to other Johanniter field locations, to support monitoring and evaluation processes and contribute to the development and roll-out of accountability processes. i.e. provide training, mentorship, technical assistance, while ensuring that accountability and learning tools and strategies are under- stood and implemented effectively.
- Co-facilitate partner mapping, selection and vetting processes to identify new partners
- Support the Project Capacity Assessment processes, including contributing to and facilitating the collaborative risk analysis and management.
- Support project opening, review, monitoring and closing meetings and ensure partner participation in all project cycle meetings.
- Co-lead timely and effective partner program and reflection (monitoring), and work with the Senior Programme Manager and Programme Officer to address any project performance issues.
- Co-lead the review of the performance of the partner, of Johanniter (including on the basis of partner feedback), and of the partnership, including successes, challenges and lessons learned, fostering ongoing partnerships beyond the project cycle
- Where partner performance issues are identified, facilitate timely action by the Johanniter to address any areas of non-performance as they arise.
- Work collaboratively with partners and Johanniter to facilitate systematic partner feedback on Johanniter’s management of the partnership relationship, including the documentation of, and response to partner feedback and constructively resolve any issues that may arise.
- Maintain complete and organized partnership files for each partner
- Ensure Johanniter understands partner capacity strengthening priorities and identifies opportunities and plans for Johanniter to support partner capacity strengthening efforts.
- Represent Johanniter in relevant forums and networks in Uganda
- Assist the country office team in translating guidelines and templates
- Support the Country Office in all other tasks.