Overall purpose of the role:
The Head of Support Services will offer overall direction and management of all support services in the operation, in close cooperation with the Country Director. The Head of Support Services will ensure the existence of effective and efficient business support in the CO’s finance, human resources, procurement and logistics activities.
He/She will play a key role in developing and implementing country specific strategies as well as devising, implementing and improving operational systems, processes and policies in support of DRC’s mission in line with DRC operational standards and procedures.
Experience and technical competencies:
- 7 years INGO or other international agencies experience in finance and operations management in international humanitarian set up, including demonstrated ability to set up operational management systems in a large programme and direct experience of delivery of humanitarian programme in an emergency response.
- Excellent knowledge in preparing major international donor reports and knowledge of major donor rules including UNHCR, UNICEF, ECHO, EC, DFID, DANIDA and USG.
- Possess strong accounting, analytical and conceptual skills.
- Proven Communication and Management Skills.
- Proven commitment to accountable practices.
- At least 3 years’ proven experience in implementation of an ERP system.
- Previous experience in setting up systems in a new country program is an asset.
- Knowledge of working in challenging environments.
- Proven ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision.
- Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player.
Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all levels.
- Post graduate degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting and Addition Professional qualification such as ACCA/CPA or equivalent is desired.
- Excellent verbal and written English.
Strategic Management Roles:
- Participate as a member of the SMT in the development of the mission and the Annual Plan in accordance with the DRC Global Policies and guidelines.
- Responsible for maintaining and improving resource management in the mission, together with SMT.
- Identify both short term and long term resource needs and translate these into objectives and priorities for future DRC projects.
- Advise and inform the CD in regards to the development, monitoring and assessment of the ongoing programs in terms of resource management.
- Participate in drafting project proposals, and on the use of resources according to budgets and policies.
- Manage, coordinate and coach functional head of departments.
- Systems development and roll out of systems already developed in close cooperation and coordination with RO and DRC’s headquarters. This includes tools for monitoring shared expenditures, donor co-funding and decentralized book keeping and grants management systems.
- Be the senior management focal point and leading the overall country implementation of the DRC Dynamics (Enterprise Resource Planning, ERP) system. The overall purpose of the DRC Dynamics Program is “to improve DRC efficiency and effectiveness by providing adequate IT system support for core business process by implementing one global ERP solution covering Supply Chain, Human Capital Management, and Finance, and update business processes as deemed necessary”.
- Risk Management Framework and compliance to external and internal regulations as well as continuous improvement to internal control environment.
- Act of the CoC and Safe Guard Focal Point.
- Ensure financial regulations, procedures and documentation requirements are adhered to in DRC country operation.
- Provide overall financial planning support to Head of Programs, advise on spending and financial spending strategies, provide accurate financial outlook of the programs on a regular basis.
- Provide inputs to budget development and guidance on overall financial management support to the budget holders.
- Constantly check the integrity and robustness of financial procedures, possible mismanagement and suggest corrective actions to minimise losses.
- Implementation of a functioning, real-time master budget tool to Senior Management Team, and programme managers.
- Active seeking for direction from the senior management team once suspecting or having discovered [early] signs of budgetary disparity, fraudulent activity, or administrative adversities thereof.
- Ensure timely and accurate financial and administrative reporting to external parties, and to the headquarters.
- Ensure that all necessary agreements, permits and licenses necessary for DRC‘s operations (including VAT exemption where applicable) are in place and keep updated on national Administrative rules and regulations pertaining to the activities of DRC.
HR and Administration:
- Direct management of Support service Heads of Department (manager level) and technical management of Support service staff in field offices, and monitoring the conduct of other staff in relation to the rules and policies of DRC.
- Ensuring an honest, timely and quality delivery of Support service operations and services at all levels of organisation hierarchy, through sound recruitment, firm internal controls and reporting, solid coordination between projects and personnel, and internal audits.
- Facilitation of continued learning and improvement through training, coaching, and communication amongst personnel, and organising sessions for self-evaluation and goal-setting.
- Ensure that effective HR policies are in place and implemented.
- Upholding of the Code of Conduct among the personnel at country office and in field locations through personal example.
- Ensure a sound HR and payroll management system compliant to DRC HR policies is in place.
- Support the deployment of expatriate staff members, especially as regards travel, housing, and Country Office compliance with the DRC Terms of Expatriate Employment.
- Ensure a well-functioning staff complaint reporting and handling mechanism is in place.
Supply Chain (Logistics, Procurement) and IT:
- Provide supervision to country procurement and logistics inclusive of related information management and maintenance, requests for quotations, quality control and ensuring the set procedures are followed.
- Supervise country procurement and logistics personnel, and ensuring logistics team’s close cooperation with the departments for admin/finances, human resources and program operations.
- Monitoring procurement procedures and ensuring that items are accounted for and quality/quantity controlled in stock reports and asset inventory management system.
- Providing support to Logistics and Procurement Coordinator in timely management and updating of all logistics reports and information as required by the organisation.
- Standardisation of all service contracts.
- Streamlining and harmonizing logistics and procurement procedures across all field offices.
- Manage and implement Information Technology strategies of East Africa and Yemen Region.
- Work closely with the IT Officer to make sure that Information Management System is properly configured, IT related services provided, Networks, infrastructures are administered including desktop PC’s, servers, network equipment, and software applications.
- Make sure that regular and high quality IT support to all users and identify appropriate solutions to be integrated into the systems operation and make recommendations for implementation.
Team Management and Coordination:
- Direct supervision and management of staff in the relevant areas of responsibility. This will include regular team meeting and strong follow up of objectives set for the staff under direct supervision.
- Develop a network with other INGOs on finance and administration-related topics and ensure a proactive communication with all relevant stakeholders.
- Share and coordinate administration and finance related information with the Head of Programs and other staff, and attend any internal coordination meetings.
- Liaise with donors and government officials, especially in relation to the issues of compliance, registration and audit.
- Maintained close coordination and dialogue with Regional Office and HQ, Project Managers and Sector leads in country on operations.