The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the United Nations headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. We support programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) globally, as well as other United Nations offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org) This position is located in the United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON), Human Resources Management Service (HRMS), Staff Pay and Benefit, Nairobi Duty station. Under the overall guidance of the Deputy Chief, Human Resources Management Service (HRMS) and the direct supervision of the Front Office Manager, HRMS, the incumbent will provide a wide range of administrative support to the HRMS team and specifically support the HRMS Front Office functions performing the following duties:
1. Researches, compiles and organizes information and reference materials from various sources for reports, work plans, studies, briefings. Upon request, generates reports, work orders, service requests (SRs), etc., using Unite iNeed system. Screens phone calls and visitors; responds to moderately complex information requests and inquiries, creates iNeed SRs as appropriate and assigns inquiries to appropriate HRMS personnel for further processing.
2. Prepares and issues certified pay slips for staff upon request, coordinates UNFCU external payment requests and Letters of Attestation. Assists in providing software and office equipment support. Provides guidance to less experienced staff on office processes and procedures, computer applications such as iNeed system and Umoja Employee Self-Service actions.
3. Assists in the preparation of presentation materials using appropriate technology/software. Maintains calendar/schedules; monitors changes and communicates relevant information to appropriate staff inside and outside the immediate work unit. Performs data entry and extraction functions.
4. Reviews, records, distributes and/or processes mail and other documents; follows-up on pending actions. Updates and maintains large distribution lists; monitors, prepares and distributes various materials, reports, where possible using electronic formats; handles arrangement for printing and translation as necessary; coordinates shipment arrangements, courier services and pouch dispatch, etc. Performs general administrative tasks e.g. arrangements for meetings and other events, reservations, follow-up, to include preparing and/or processing administrative requests/documents (e.g. requisitions, purchase orders, authorizations, visa applications, etc.
5. Performs a wide range of office support and administrative functions. Drafts responses to routine correspondence and other communications; uses standard word processing package to
produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports. Monitors processes and schedules related to the unit’s outputs, products, tasks, etc.; assists in the verification of receipt and accuracy of requisite documents, approvals, signatures, etc. to ensure compliance with requirements UN Rules and Regulations, Administrative Instructions, Information Circulars, SG Bulletins, UN correspondence
manual, verbal and written instructions from the supervisor, established procedures/guidelines. The incumbent is expected to exercise sound judgement on the best way to complete a task. He/she may propose internal guidelines.
6. Perform any other duties as may be required.