a. Education (Level and area of required and/or preferred education)
• Completion of secondary school.
• Additional training courses in protection-related issues required.
b. Work Experience
(List number of years and area of required work experience. Clearly distinguish between required experience and experience which could be an asset.)
• Minimum 2 years of relevant professional job experience, preferably in the area of human rights (including issues related to sexual and gender minorities), gender issues, refugee protection, or international humanitarian law.
• Previous experience interacting with LGBTQI+ persons in a professional context
• Experience in interacting with NGOs and other relevant actors in project coordination, as well as in providing training or coaching, guidance or advice to staff.
• Experience working on livelihoods/empowerment projects strongly desired
• Experience working with procedures and principles related to protection of refugees, asylum seekers, or IDPs (especially in GBV) strongly desired
• Experience in counselling asylum seekers or refugees strongly desired
c. Key Competencies
(Technical knowledge, skills, managerial competencies, or other personal competencies relevant to the performance of the assignment. Clearly distinguish between required and desired competencies)
• Sound knowledge of SSOGI issues, especially in Kenya/East Africa.
• Knowledge of International Refugee Law and Human Rights Law and ability to apply the relevant legal principles
• Strong research and analytical skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; an ability to be diplomatic and level-headed.
• Excellent knowledge of English; Swahili or Luganda would be advantageous but are not required.
• Knowledge of internal UNHCR procedures related to RSD, resettlement, and protection strongly desired