Requirements for Appointment
The candidate must:
- Be a Kenyan citizen
- Be a holder of a Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education / O-level education (Minimum grade D)
- Possess a valid motor vehicle driving license class BCE;
- Have a minimum of two (2) years of proven experience in fire engine/firefighting equipment operation;
- Be physically and medically fit as certified by a Government Doctor;
- Be a holder of a firefighting/rescue service certificate from an institution recognized in Kenya
- Demonstrate experience in managing disasters.
- Possess a first aid certificate lasting more than one week from St. John Ambulance or Institute of Highway and Building Technology (KIHBT) or any other equivalent from a recognized institution.
- Possess of a Grade III certificate and above in vehicle mechanics/maintenance will be an added advantage;
- Former members of the disciplined forces and the NYS who have undergone firefighting training or ex-fire fighters/fire engine operators will have an added advantage.
Reporting to the Chief Officer, the Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Making routine daily checks and inspections of the fire engines to ensure it is in sound mechanical condition.
- Ensuring general routine maintenance of the fire engine and equipment in line with the manufacturer’s manual/specifications
- Reporting any malfunctioning of the vehicle/fire engine systems
- Driving/operating the fire engine as authorized.
- Ensuring the security and safety of the fire engine on and off the road
- Maintenance of work tickets for vehicle/fire engine assigned
- Responding to fire and emergency calls to prevent and/or minimize loss of life, property, or injury
- Safely and efficiently driving the fire engine to the scene of fire in response to an emergency
- Operating the fire engine pumps and other fire/rescue apparatus safely and efficiently
- Performing any other duty as may be assigned by the supervisor.